Discuss Is it too late for a change in direction? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am hoping that you experienced electricians will be able to advise me.

I spent 17 years in the British Army as a Radar Technician having completed my Radar Apprenticeship. Since leaving the army most of my career has been spent in the Middle and Far East where I have installed and maintained radar equipment, installed and maintained electronic security systems in Royal residences, installed and maintained live-fire and laser controlled small arms shooting ranges. For a year whilst back in UK I was employed as a Tech 2A (installer) by British Telecom. I was also Site Manager for the installation of a turnkey security system at a nuclear power station in UK.
I now feel that the time has come to return to UK. With this in mind my wife and I have purchased a property in Bridgend, S.Wales.

Now, here’s the rub. I am 64 and therefore stand no chance of obtaining employment in UK. As an indication of my fitness level I would mention that in my present employment I am climbing 100ft masts and am generally in good health.

I have no wish to retire but what can I do on my return? The answer seems to be some form of self-employment. I have no appropriate civilian qualifications and my skills lie in the use of hand tools, reading drawings, and general installation work. I have worked with electricity throughout my career so what are the chances of me becoming a Domestic Installer.

I know the attitude of you ‘old hands’ to the training courses currently being offered (Crash Courses) but in my case I don’t have the time to spare to undertake a course of study at college and I still need an income.

I would welcome any comments, suggestions, ideas, that you might have.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Ken

You dont need to become a DI if being registered is what you mean
You can carry out Domestic installation without any schemes involvement
The part p is compliance with building regulations, so the choice is to register with a scheme and self certify the notifiable jobs(not all domestic work is notifiable) or to submit a notice to building control for the start of the work after which they are supposed to inspect the first and second fix and test and sign off the install
I am not suggesting you do this ,but I am registered for part p and do it above board but a few of my sparky mates have totaly ignored it since its inception so a little thought may need to be given
You have worked in associated fields in the forces where the training is second to none so a short course taken by yourself would be better suited to yourself than the large numbers who start from scratch
Go self employed as a domestic spark taking on possibly smaller jobs to begin with until you expand them with experience gained
Can you not also involve the electronic side of your skills to enhance your worth to the customer by offering security and IT skills to go with the sparking

You dont need to become a DI if being registered is what you mean
You can carry out Domestic installation without any schemes involvement
The part p is compliance with building regulations, so the choice is to register with a scheme and self certify the notifiable jobs(not all domestic work is notifiable) or to submit a notice to building control for the start of the work after which they are supposed to inspect the first and second fix and test and sign off the install
I am not suggesting you do this ,but I am registered for part p and do it above board but a few of my sparky mates have totaly ignored it since its inception so a little thought may need to be given
You have worked in associated fields in the forces where the training is second to none so a short course taken by yourself would be better suited to yourself than the large numbers who start from scratch
Go self employed as a domestic spark taking on possibly smaller jobs to begin with until you expand them with experience gained
Can you not also involve the electronic side of your skills to enhance your worth to the customer by offering security and IT skills to go with the sparking

Maybe not all work is notifiable but you are still ment to issue a certificate on compleation of works. I would recomend joining with one of the governing bodies

If you were not to join a government approved Part P scheme and notified work that fell under Part P directly to the LABC (Local Authority Building Control) you have to notify the work before work commences and pay any relevant fee's.

As a member of an approved scheme you can begin work right away as the scheme operators notify the LABC on behalf of their members.

Notification directly to LABC is quite expensive, especially if you have just moved a couple of sockets in a kitchen. Normally they charge anything from £100+.

You really should at least investigate becoming registered. At least that way you also have the back up of a helpline if there are things you are not sure of.

And believe me, there will be!

Well you've inspired me, big time!
I'm 'only' 30 and a little worried about a change in career & training as a spark at my age.

...you rule!

Go for it man! Good luck :)

hi im 41 yrs old have 22yrs in the print,always loved my trade but been helping a mate in factories and love it ,rewiring and just being a sparks mate.its made me think very hard what i want out of life and now ive started my nvq2&3 2330 so i can take up this new trade inwhitch ive started.i would rather be doing a job thats needed than a job thats dying.go for it!its never to late.ps the only thing im worried about is getting the experience i need to find jobs to get my nvq,anybody (i.e sparks) need a mate at weekends to help out in lincolnshire let me know.you never know unless you ask.cheers chaps

Reply to Is it too late for a change in direction? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock