Discuss Is Nest compatible with my wiring? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gaz47

-
Reaction score
Hi there.
I'm hoping someone could advise if the wiring to my current thermostat means it will work with a Nest smart thermostat? It's currently a Honeywell T6360B1028.

I've tried reading online, but the wiring to my thermostat doesn't match any of the diagrams I've seen online. Please can someone advise before I look into booking an installer.
Thanks in advance!
https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/lV5W5zh.jpg
https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/COorE2Q.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply Flash, I've got a combiboiler - Greenstar 24i Junior combi Mk V Condensing boiler.
So am I right in thinking something is installed on the boiler that turns it on/off, which is controlled wirelessly from the thermostat?

What do you use to turn your heating on and off, is it an inbuilt programmer or one external to the boiler?

You could make use of the wiring to that room stat, personally I'd look at the table stand and site the nest elsewhere as that's not a great bit of installation work.

I control it from dial and switch on the front of the boiler (Worcester MT10 by the look of it), it's a pain I can't set different programmes e.g weekday/weekend which is why I want a smart thermostat!https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/0EtsHI1.jpg

i beg to disagree. the electrical side of any boiler should be accessible to an electrician without having to resort to calling in a gas monkey. if it's not, then boilers need to be redesigned. we allow gas monkeys to connect boilers to a FCU without calling us in!.

i beg to disagree. the electrical side of any boiler should be accessible to an electrician without having to resort to calling in a gas monkey. if it's not, then boilers need to be redesigned. we allow gas monkeys to connect boilers to a FCU without calling us in!.

thats how there built and that why they come pre wired, for the sparks so they dont have to remove the case

also were allowed to connect into fcu no need for sparks unless there isnt one then its a sparks job

so what happens when a fuse on the PCB goes down? customer has to pay a sparks call-out then 4 hours waiting time for a gas reg. guy to turn up, then pay his call-out on top? cheaper to buy a new boiler.

I dont bother installing smart thermostats for people anymore unless its a longstanding customer and i know the heating install is decent or a new install done tidily.
went to one a couple months back after a diyer attempt and he had completely messed up his wiring in the junction box, had copied a youtube video apparently but didnt label anything... then tried to put it all back together before i got there. I took one look at it and tripled the quote and added it to the original nest install price. he wasnt happy but i gave him the choice of paying or having no hot water and heating! his wife was less than impressed

I dont bother installing smart thermostats for people anymore unless its a longstanding customer and i know the heating install is decent or a new install done tidily.
went to one a couple months back after a diyer attempt and he had completely messed up his wiring in the junction box, had copied a youtube video apparently but didnt label anything... then tried to put it all back together before i got there. I took one look at it and tripled the quote and added it to the original nest install price. he wasnt happy but i gave him the choice of paying or having no hot water and heating! his wife was less than impressed
that's the old adage my dad used to say....

£40 to fix the fault. £70 if you watch over me. £100 if you've had a go yourself.

so what happens when a fuse on the PCB goes down? customer has to pay a sparks call-out then 4 hours waiting time for a gas reg. guy to turn up, then pay his call-out on top? cheaper to buy a new boiler.

just call a gsr engy out and not a sparky as its not there job tbh

Reply to Is Nest compatible with my wiring? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net