Discuss Is PAT testing worth it? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

MOT is Ministry Of Transport Test PAT Testng is Portable Appliance Testing Testing

I think he means that the test just proves the item is OK at the time that it is tested, like the MOT. It may still go wrong afterwards even though the sticker still says it's good.

Having spent time as an Asset Manager at my place of work, as well as other things, the maim thing that would be, in my opinion a must, will be an Equipment Register (ER), whereby all your electrical equipment covered by the CoP of ISITEE.
It is my belief that if you're serious about maintain your equipment, and don't have a ER, then if you get someone to do the testing on your behalf, the first port of call would be to get them to produce one, a ball busting job I agree, but a necessary one, will be costly to produce, but necessary in order to test and keep records, just testing what you can lay your hands on is a pointless exercise, but remember it is down to the Duty Holder of your equipment that is responsible for record keeping, and deciding the frequency of testing, people may rubbish this statement, my advice to them is read the CoP.
A decent tester will create an equipment register for you. I know the last Seaward one I used came with software to do so. You could also download the last set of tests for an area onto it. This meant it remembered what was required (even prompting if it was just a visual inspection) saving time and boredom. In theory all you should have to do is ask the responsible person if they’d bought anything new or got rid of anything.

Lovely bit of kit! Looks like it's had a few repairs :)

My grandmother has one of the same model. Though that has its grille and last year I put a nice new butyl rubber flex and plug on it. :)

If you're going to do it properly on a large scale you'll need a fully automated PAT tester like a full spec Megger which prints tags and creates a downloadable file for the customer.
You have to look professional and charge a decent fee. You're up against The wombat test outfits who do it for F**k all.
You then have to decide if the cost of the test instrument is worth the rate of return and if you can make a decent living out of it. Your call but I looked at it a few year ago and went yeah nah

Reply to Is PAT testing worth it? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock