Discuss Is this hourly rate low for paye work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Just been discussing various jobs etc with some other trades and been sent this job ad from pertemps for electricians in Edinburgh... What's your thoughts?
Seems on the low side to me... After tax. Ni etc you ain't got much more than what sainsburys pay to stack shelfs!
Got me wondering what the pay is for sparks via Paye around the country. London will obviously top the table. But how much variation is there?
My hourly rate is double that and a bit more.

Alarm bells ringing as they're referring to 17th Edition. If the agency hasn't cut and pasted an old ad then the client (I presume council) have no idea what a qualified electrician is. The ad also doesn't refer to any other qualifications.
I'm Sussex/Surrey based and I'd expect an apprentice at that rate.

The emergency electrical repairs part sounds just like a scam that was running a year or 2 ago. Sadly I don't get paid much more than that. :(

you'll not get much more round here either. my lad works as electrician on artics and trailers. he's on less than £10/hour.

Agree with @ Dannyboy no mention of anything other than 17th edition . Also it is an agency and it’s just about putting men into position for a couple of weeks and making as much as they can out of it. Wonder what they are hiring out at

Can't believe some of the rates you guys are quoting, I was charging at least four times that before I retired eleven years ago, sounds like you guys need to get together and form a cartel, about fifteen years ago bricklayers were paid £300.00 a day on the Trafalgar Place Brighton development, something very wrong with these rates?

Rubbish pay, @ least £18-£20 with van & fuel Supplied by company.
Our industry are poor payers,construction seems to be @ a lost end.
Mainly due to lack of skills, anyone can do it now.

Rubbish pay, @ least £18-£20 with van & fuel Supplied by company.
Our industry are poor payers,construction seems to be @ a lost end.
Mainly due to lack of skills, anyone can do it now.
lucky to get £20/hour subbing up here. with no vehicle or expenses paid.

It is not good, but a quick search shows it is not that unusual up here:
NHS full-time ~£23k/year
Electrician's mate £18/hour for night shift fitting lights
On or two companies offering ~£33k/year.

It amazes me that some people around here think £240 a day is high yet will, then pay more for a plumber and in one case paid £300 for a brickie... I do think as an industry we undervalue ourselves.
With things what they are I do think the day rate price will come down a bit. Even then the work is there but you will always have people willing to work for very low rates.
At the the end of the day if I had kids to feed and house etc.then if it was a case of stay at home and no money or work for £100 a day instead of £200+ then I would likely bite the bullet and do it in order to get through the downturn.

I am truly amazed at these low day rates, the day rate in France for any building construction or technician is at least €350.00/day and if you are available within a year you can charge what you like, obviously not at the moment where stay at home is being enforced, up too €300.00 fine if you are caught without your filled in attestation.

When the current (sorry) situation is resolved, you will be swamped with work and should be able to charge a premium for being available.

I think that is happening now, when the stay in instruction is lifted all the work that has not been done during this period will not have disappeared it will still be there, but will have become urgent. :yum:

Difference between being a glass half empty and a glass half full person.:innocent:

I think that is happening now, when the stay in instruction is lifted all the work that has not been done during this period will not have disappeared it will still be there, but will have become urgent. :yum:

Difference between being a glass half empty and a glass half full person.:innocent:
Am I right in thinking that you are semi retired Mike ? Maybe that is why you have a different perspective .I suppose you can afford to be a little less anxious now that you are out of the rat race

Reply to Is this hourly rate low for paye work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net