Discuss Isolator before the meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi im new to the forum.
Im installing 5 flats and a landlords supply to a building in Cambridge and am being told by uk power networks that im to install a isolator before the meter. they have brought in a 95 waveform cable in to a 200 amp head and i am to provide directly after the head a TP isolator they will wire it in to there head and i have to then split it into 6 ways for the meters. This is a new policy brought in last year. although i dont like the idea of this, as when installing the cables they break the isolator who will replace it. Or that im responsible for anything before the meter dose not make me happy. My problem is how i split this into six meter points as i cant see that i would want to take 6 sets of L-N-E out of an isolator. i could use henley blocks which would be fine for the 3 phases but i would need a 7 way block for the N which dont exist i could link 2 together but just seems a bit of a mess. i also thought of putting a 3 phase board there instead of the isolator but getting 25mm tails in to the N bar? or maybe some bus-bar trunking but this will be quite expensive and use a lot of space as would require 3m to get 6 outlets. but may be the only way to go any suggestions

Sam

I'm very comfused as to why they are asking you to fit part of the system which is on there side unless they have 1 incoming meter to charge the landlord and you are supplying private meters...

I would get an email confirmation to what exactly they are supplying and what you need to supply.

The usual set up is the incoming cutout to main meter possibly in an ISU then out to a distribution board usually a Ryefield that fuses down all the separate ways to the meters... you need to find out all the details and why they are asking you to fit and supply equipment for there side of the supply?

Last edited:
Search for ukpn requirements for G87 this will give you all the layouts for multi occupancy metering setups. It's strange but this is becoming more common, you will need to install a ryefield to separately sub fuse all the separate meters or most meter operators won't connect.

Thank you both that is very helpful unlike my friend at ukpn who did not explain any of that very well. The ryfield is exactly what i was looking for. And iv learnt something reading the g87. looks like im going to be a BNO, another sticker for the van

G87 is the guidance given to DNOs, they will have their own technique document based on this.
I have a similar new supply coming in and I have been referred to Western Power Standard Technique : SD5C Relating to LV Connections to Multiple Occupancy Buildings. I would approach ukpn (or search for) their relevant document.
In my case WP are supplying the MSDB (Ryefield) and working in conjunction with the meter fitters, all I have to have ready is the building MET with appropriately sized Main Bonding Conductors plus switch fuses for them to connect to. I understand that this method has evolved because of many (WPD) refusals to connect. My case is a new supply to enable individual metering to an existing and occupied block of 6 flats.
Might be worth another call to ukpn to see if they could be similarly obliging (at a sensible price!).

Reply to Isolator before the meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net