Discuss Issue with cat 6 connection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sb8389

-
Reaction score
Hey guys
I installed a cat 6 ftp cable last week around 50metres. It goes from one cat6 faceplate to another. When I originally tested the connection it was fine with my network tester,we tested with a couple of cat 5e patch leads to check connectivity and was fine. Today the customer has brought a couple of cat 6 patch leads and re tested (getting no connection). I popped out tonight and tested the line with my tester and getting nothing, would you point towards it being a module issue as the tester would pick up open circuits so I know it’s not that.
From your experience what would you guess it could be.

No other trades although it does have a couple bends as it was installed in conduit to outside wall as it goes from the house to barn down the garden. I understood the tester would pick up any open circuits along the run. I’m praying there ain’t a break in the cable haha

So when you installed it last week, you had continuity on all four pairs and today you have used the same instrument and get no continuity on any of the four pairs? Have you checked the punchdowns on each of the face plates are still intact? Have you checked everywhere the cable enters and exits the conduit for damage?

I have pal was continuity last week but nothing today at all, repunched them all and checked all where there may be kinks, obviously bar stripping the cable and checking the connections will be difficult to tell if there is damage anywhere, that’s why I’m aiming towards one of the modules which I will pop back and change, but just curious to see if there could be any others issues apart from the mods and hopefully not the cable.
So when you installed it last week, you had continuity on all four pairs and today you have used the same instrument and get no continuity on any of the four pairs? Have you checked the punchdowns on each of the face plates are still intact? Have you checked everywhere the cable enters and exits the conduit for damage?

I can't see how it is a module, if all pairs worked last week and none work today. Something has happened to that cable, it shouldn't be too difficult to find and is most likely to be where it isn't in conduit. At the barn end, check for rodent damage.

I doubt it’s a module as they are normally a solid link from the punch down to the socket. Tony has suggested rodent damage to the cable which is pretty common.

If it was a break in the cable would the tester which is only a cheap network tester from Screwfix (does the job) not show an open circuit which it is there to detect. I would be very unlucky to have all pairs broken. No rodent damage to barn to cable from what I can see, I could carry out a continuity test on all the pairs to check for any breaks in the cable.

As an aside, how many Cat6 runs have you got in that conduit? Always best to install data cabling in pairs and if in a higher risk environment such as yours, as Cat5/6 is cheap as chips, it doesn't hurt to run a spare line in the conduit to future proof. If you can't find and fix it, can you use the existing cable as a draw string to pull new runs through?

I really can’t see where it would be broken (obviously not ruling it out) it’s encased in conduit outside before it enters the loft and clipped round and down to dining area, it’s just strange how it’s lasted 3 days then completely packed up. I think your right sparky chick that external duct cable should have being used to maybe give better protection. (Lesson learnt) just hoping it’s a simple resolution this time.

Good idea that pal and one I will carry out in the future. If I do have replace the cable I could pull a new one in. (Just have to take a hit on the job and learn my lesson) tbf the cable I installed was cat6 ftp and cost around £110 for 305 metres so not the cheapest.

Was the cable pure copper or copper coated aluminium?

Have to ask if you've confirmed the tester on a known good cable? Those Screwfix (Philex?) testers aren't super reliable. Either way you'll find out when you buzz the wires.

Have to ask if you've confirmed the tester on a known good cable? Those Screwfix (Philex?) testers aren't super reliable. Either way you'll find out when you buzz the wires.
I know they ain’t the best, but did check the patch cables I was using to check continuity and all ok, like you say bell them out and see where I am at with it.

Join all four pairs securely,at one end,and crack-on with your 28 continuity tests,at the other end...have a cup of tea,while you peruse the readings :)

Reply to Issue with cat 6 connection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock