Discuss JBs to 17th edition! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Reg Man

Just been reading Hagers guide to 17th edition.

Guides Hager

What the hell is going on, JBs now have to be a certain type and located in a certain place and mounted a certain way. This is surely getting ridiculous. Does anyone else not think this is just overkill??. I must admit I do see badly terminated JBs BUT it's 9 times out of 10 a DIYer who has caused the problem.
Stop electrical outlets selling downlighters etc to Joe Public, then we wouldn't have to go through half of these crazy changes.
If screw down terminals are no good now why are switches, sockets etc not being changed for push fit type?

What a complete load of boll***s

522.8.5 states "every cable or conductor shall be supported in such a way that it is not exposed to undue mechanical strain and so that there is no appreciable strain on the terminations of the conductors, account being taken of mechanical strain imposed by the supported weight of the cable or conductor itself".

Nowhere in BS7671 does it say you have to have strain relief.

So you clip your cables securely making sure that if you have a piece of flex going to a pendant, that it is not under undue strain. Make sure that if you have removed sheaving the exposed cables are enclosed in the junction box and the junction box is of the correct type.

This is just a ploy by Hager to plug a new product.

If there was a change in the regulations that prohibited the use of the round type junction box's, i think we would of heard about it by now;)

just read the stuff on jbs by hager .found it very clear
interesting point was the use of maintenance free terminals in inaccessible positions i.e under floors

what? so we cant use jb's of the old brown variety anymore?

Yes you can they now just have to be accessible, so no more hiding them away in studwork :D

As for the strain relife of the cables, well if you do want to use the old JB's (i still do on occations ) just ensure you clip right upto the jb & there is the relife for T/E, the flex to a down light just go over length by a few inches, put a loop in the flex by the jb & cable tie + use a clip on the jb side of the loop.

You'll be seeing lots more jointing done using crimps in the locations where access for testing is a problem.

Having said all that I have used the new ashley JB's & they are good, loads of room inside & easy to use, so when I've used all the old jb's it's over to these new jobbies.

Can't stand the little bodgy brown friggers. Looks like an afterthought. Fiddly to use unless they're 30A, the 5A ones barely take 2 X 1.5mm cores. Liking that 3 plate setup though. I'd NEVER put one in studding anyway, that's just setting yourself up for a fall 'maintenance free contacts' (is there such a thing?) or not.
I always mark up their positions on the floorboard access trap as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes must admit i dont put them anywhere where you cant get to them anyway, not seen these ashley ones, will ask at wholesalers in morning. im sure these "push fit2 style fittings have been though allsorts of tests, i cant seem to get me head round just baring a bit of conductor n sticking it a hole, giving it a tug n then just leaving it, still must meet the requirements!

yes must admit i dont put them anywhere where you cant get to them anyway, not seen these ashley ones, will ask at wholesalers in morning. im sure these "push fit2 style fittings have been though allsorts of tests, i cant seem to get me head round just baring a bit of conductor n sticking it a hole, giving it a tug n then just leaving it, still must meet the requirements!

Called to a job today and the customer was complaining of crackling coming from light fitting. Investigation found a push fit type JB arcing badly and melting. I think I would like to stick to tried 'n' tested thanks.
Not the first time I've seen it either.

Quite so, have had to use these things when retrofitting emergency packs to grid system luminaires and you have to think "how did this system actually get a CE marking?? it's just crap". I suppose the thinking is that being sprung loaded they are always self tightening and probably they are fine for small csa solid core eqpt wire in fittings at one conductor per terminal but anything bigger or in multiples and I like to see and feel real mechanical clamping going on.

On a similar vain. Has anyone any experience ofthe Helacon Plus Push In Wire Connectors that Hellerman have launched recently. Be interested to hear any comments.

Reply to JBs to 17th edition! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock