Discuss Joining a competant person scheme in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bathroomboy

I did a Disq a few years ago and now I am a self employed plumber and want to get myself up and running to do small jobs on the bathrooms I fit, what is the best route to get my initial assesment out of the way, I have not carried out any electrical work for any one to inspect, I have a new circuit I could put in my own property, would this be acceptable and would I have to notify building control and what is involved in this?
I find this a chicken and egg situation, they want to see work I have done but can't do any work because I can't certify it, when I enquired to the labc a while ago they were not very helpful.

I did a Disq a few years ago and now I am a self employed plumber and want to get myself up and running to do small jobs on the bathrooms I fit, what is the best route to get my initial assesment out of the way, I have not carried out any electrical work for any one to inspect, I have a new circuit I could put in my own property, would this be acceptable and would I have to notify building control and what is involved in this?
I find this a chicken and egg situation, they want to see work I have done but can't do any work because I can't certify it, when I enquired to the labc a while ago they were not very helpful.

why cant you certify it?

joining a competent persons scheme does not authorise you certify work or change the way that you do it, it is really about the notification process.

If you are qualified and competent, you do notifiable work (after pre-notifying to the LABC) , certify it and submit these to the LABC

when you have done a few of thee (including you own CU for example), the competent persons scheme will come and inspect, and if happy, they let you join. Then you dont pre-notify, and submit you certs to them instead of the LABC, but the point is the actual job, and the certifying is exactly the same;)

Thanks for the reply Shakey, my local LABC are not the most helpful, the last time I contacted them for advice they said they would have to send someone out to inspect and test my work at a cost of £180 for each job which is a bit off putting to say the least. Cheers

Thanks for the reply Shakey, my local LABC are not the most helpful, the last time I contacted them for advice they said they would have to send someone out to inspect and test my work at a cost of £180 for each job which is a bit off putting to say the least. Cheers

And that is my point, they would do that if you are not qualified to complete BS7671 certs, and if you are not, then the competent persons scheme wouldnt let you join either. And if you are, then there is no reason why you cannot certify now

Thanks again Shakey, with the Niciec Disq qualification I am able to fill in the certs, what is the procedure, do I complete the work, test, fill in the cert and then submit to LABC or do I have to notify them first that I intend to do the work. Cheers

Thanks again Shakey, with the Niciec Disq qualification I am able to fill in the certs, what is the procedure, do I complete the work, test, fill in the cert and then submit to LABC or do I have to notify them first that I intend to do the work. Cheers

Pre-notify LABC, minimum 2 working days

Carry out work - with things like full rewires, the LABC may want to carry out a 'pre-plaster' check of the wiring

Complete job, fill out BS7671 certs (after inspect & test obviously!)

Copy for person ordering the work, copy to LABC, they may want to carry out further inspection depending on the scale of the job. They issue building completion form, job done.

Put in my cable today for a radial circuit to feed the immersion heater, previosly fed off the ring, not made the final connections or done the testing yet.
When I notify the LABC am I liable to a charge and have they got the right to send someone out to test it, even though I have tested and certified it and charge me for this as they have stated in the past or have they got their wires crossed. Thanks again

Yes you will have to pay the LABC fee

And yes, they may want to send someone out to test it, BUT that is included in your fee (and dont let them tell you otherwise)

you test and certify it, but if they want someone to double check then let them fill their boots, but at THEIR expense;)

Thanks again Shakey you have been most helpful, how much approx should the fee to the LABC be. Cheers

Reply to Joining a competant person scheme in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock