Discuss Joining a scheme. Is if me or is it all confusing? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

stokielee

Trainee
Reaction score
I have 2365 level 2, 8202 level 3, 2391-52 inspection and Testing, 18th edition.
Can I join a scheme so I can certify etc.
I have looked on the sites but can't work out what I need as some new rules are coming in from September where I would need the NVQ/AM2 I believe.

I have 2365 level 2, 8202 level 3, 2391-52 inspection and Testing, 18th edition.
Can I join a scheme so I can certify etc.
I have looked on the sites but can't work out what I need as some new rules are coming in from September where I would need the NVQ/AM2 I believe.
There was a similar thread to this a week or two ago, I think you like the previous thread may have missed your chance
The other thing to consider is even if you can get in you will have to have a CPD plan and I believe you will need to bring your qualifications up to the new standard within a certain timescale, although I'm not sure what happens if you don't

All is not lost.
Napit offer a day and half course to prove competence for those without “core qualification” to meet new rules if you reckon you have enough experience. Called 7232.
A morning of theory exams on part P, GN3, EAWR and 18th edition.
Full day practical doing 3 phase EICR with 13 faults to find and single phase EIC for a flat. The practical is surprisingly hard and I’ve seen 2 people fail it so whatever the cynics say they aren’t just letting anyone in.
I’d give them a call, they are friendly and helpful.
(NICEIC may do similar but 4 months later they still haven’t responded to 2 applications having lost the first )

There was a similar thread to this a week or two ago, I think you like the previous thread may have missed your chance
The other thing to consider is even if you can get in you will have to have a CPD plan and I believe you will need to bring your qualifications up to the new standard within a certain timescale, although I'm not sure what happens if you don't
Thank you. I'll have a search for that now.
All is not lost.
Napit offer a day and half course to prove competence for those without “core qualification” to meet new rules if you reckon you have enough experience. Called 7232.
A morning of theory exams on part P, GN3, EAWR and 18th edition.
Full day practical doing 3 phase EICR with 13 faults to find and single phase EIC for a flat. The practical is surprisingly hard and I’ve seen 2 people fail it so whatever the cynics say they aren’t just letting anyone in.
I’d give them a call, they are friendly and helpful.
(NICEIC may do similar but 4 months later they still haven’t responded to 2 applications having lost the first )
Interesting. I'll look into that to see if that is an option.

3 phase eicr ? That’s handy for domestic installers for which 99% will never go near a 3 phase installation
the thinking behind this is that if an applicant can sort out faults on a 3 phase install, he/she can count past 2. this filters out builders and plumbers that want to join.

3 phase eicr ? That’s handy for domestic installers for which 99% will never go near a 3 phase installation
As above the point is more to see if the person knows what they are doing with plenty of traps to fall into.
I saw a builder just about scrape the open book theory exams but walked out of the practical inside 10 minutes as he realised there was no way he was winging it. I’ve seen 2 fail for not locking off while working away from board, and 1 fail for sending 500v into a fire alarm panel.
Most of the faults could have applied to single phase installs anyway.
I actually think this is progress of sorts as everyone there met the requirements to become a DI under old rules. Whether it just drives more work off the record remains to be seen.

I saw a builder just about scrape the open book theory exams but walked out of the practical inside 10 minutes as he realised there was no way he was winging it.
Is this the new norm in the UK? That a builder can attend a short course and commence domestic electrical wiring.?

I actually think this is progress of sorts as everyone there met the requirements to become a DI under old rules.
What level of electrical experience is generally required to qualify as a DI?

Is this the new norm in the UK? That a builder can attend a short course and commence domestic electrical wiring.?
No. The course should only be attended by those with suitable experience (at least 2 years) and sales messed up. I’d say unless you’d been out there doing it for a few years and had some good tuition at some point you wouldn’t have a hope of passing the practical.
It used to be 2 years experience plus 18th edition got you into NICEIC as a DI
Luckily no more!

When the current CPS trend started I heard of a plasterer that had been taken on by one of the schemes as an assessor
A friend of mine was a car mechanic he worked in the bmw plant and now works as a cps assessor, he moved careers when the partpee scams started as it paid better

I don’t think he had any formal electrical qualifications outside of the motoring trade

This sounds about right. I did mine this month with NAPIT and they suggested that they had dispensation to add you onto their scheme if you passed their competency BEFORE October 1st ie in September.

Last I checked a couple weeks ago they literally had 1 practical slot available in Oldham.

Being fair to NAPIT, unless you are serious about your electrics you have no chance of passing, chap next to me failed to doing IR test through a light and being over time limit. I heard about people being failed instantly for poor safe isolation.

If you can get a slot, 100% do it, because unless you have NVQ3 you are in for a costly slog!!

It should be harder to get registered with a scheme, so this all sounds pretty good to me. But just so the existing DI's (who are already registered, or have been registered within the 2 years prior to reapplying. They will also need to have been registered for at least 2 years) there is no need to panic. See page 28 of the EAS minimum requirements for QS, appendix 4B (introduction).

It clearly states that existing QS's can be accepted. Which means those DI's who are already registered, and have been for at least 2 years will not be required to gain level 3. Although it wouldn't surprise me if this changes in the short to medium future. My guess is that at some point we will be asked to attain this level. I would like to think we will be allowed to stay registered whilst we work towards it. Again, this is just my thoughts.

Attachments

• EAS minimum requirements for QS-see page28.pdf
    517.9 KB · Views: 10
It should be harder to get registered with a scheme, so this all sounds pretty good to me. But just so the existing DI's (who are already registered, or have been registered within the 2 years prior to reapplying. They will also need to have been registered for at least 2 years) there is no need to panic. See page 28 of the EAS minimum requirements for QS, appendix 4B (introduction).

It clearly states that existing QS's can be accepted. Which means those DI's who are already registered, and have been for at least 2 years will not be required to gain level 3. Although it wouldn't surprise me if this changes in the short to medium future. My guess is that at some point we will be asked to attain this level. I would like to think we will be allowed to stay registered whilst we work towards it. Again, this is just my thoughts.

Correct, EXISTING members are fine. Unfortunately those on the verge of registering have been hit with additional training requirements and cost.

An NVQ L3 for domestic work is excessive. Demanding NVQ L2 with perhaps 18th and 2392 would make more sense I feel. At level 3 you are working with 3P boards, DOL starters and so on, what on earth does that have to do with moving a few sockets about.

Another cash-grab.

Correct, EXISTING members are fine. Unfortunately those on the verge of registering have been hit with additional training requirements and cost.

An NVQ L3 for domestic work is excessive. Demanding NVQ L2 with perhaps 18th and 2392 would make more sense I feel. At level 3 you are working with 3P boards, DOL starters and so on, what on earth does that have to do with moving a few sockets about.

Another cash-grab.
100% This

I did a full level 3 apprenticship and about 60% of what we did has absolutely nothing to do with the domestic sector.

We need to clearly separate the domestic house badger from the industrial badger

Asking domestic badgers to complete a level 3 full apprenticeship is totally OTT and nothing more than a cash grab

Thank you for this post guys, as a person whom has recently joined the trade, I found it difficult to navigate from the offset to which course I should be doing.
Attached PDF is the new set of acceptable qualification required to join the NICEIC Domestic Installer Scheme. Only one of each of the 3 list is required.

Attachments

• Acceptable-QS-Qualifications-for-DIS-Scheme-(linked)2-Oct-21.pdf
    89.6 KB · Views: 27

Reply to Joining a scheme. Is if me or is it all confusing? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock