Discuss Joining erthernet cables in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Following on from my other thread
IP rated switchcover - https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/ip-rated-switchcover.173742/

I’ve decide to try and relocate the control panel. After a bit of a faff, managed to get to the other side of the old control panel. So my intention is to extend the two existing erthernet or network cables to the new position.

Having never worked with the stuff, what is the best method and product to use to join them? I’ve seen some vids of just twisting the cores, but that seems a bit of a bodge.

I’ve also seen coupler boxes, which look just like telephone line boxes. Is just as simple as that?

The punch down type joint boxes are fine as far as I know, especially if it's not high speed data traffic.
Solder and heatshrink works well as you can maintain the twisted pairs through the joint.

The punch down type joint boxes are fine as far as I know, especially if it's not high speed data traffic.
Solder and heatshrink works well as you can maintain the twisted pairs through the joint.

Not really sure what this panel uses. Ex-Or say the control panel can be hot swapped, but I'm gonna wait for the commissioning bod to turn before doing so. Might need to shutdown the main panel, so want something quick & simple to use.

Just remember, when connecting the cable to any connection box, keep the cables twisted for as long as possible.

Too many connections for my liking

Thats how to do it correctly, .cant do hot works etc in datacentres etc... they are usually in a 1u panel full of them inside a cabinet, but essentially thats it. that way you dont damage the signals by using out of spec materials such as solder or the infamous BT jelly crimps.

That or run a new cable, which is ofcourse the preference.

The cheap 1 pound inline couplers seem to work fine. Plus you keep untwisted pairs as short as possible.

20821010001 | HARTING RJ45 Extender, 1 Port 2082 Series | RS Components - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rj-adapters-couplers-extensions/8755654/

Joining erthernet cables {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

these are great if you have access to the tools.

Reply to Joining erthernet cables in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock