Discuss Junction boxes too deep for wall in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

u0362565

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have two 35mm deep junction boxes above two doors in our hall and the boxes protrude out from the wall. It's not a big deal but it does bug me. After investigation the boxes are screwed to a stud in the wall but the wall's are lathe and plaster and this is determining how deep the box can be set in the wall. The back box of one protrudes about 10mm beyond the plaster then there's the faceplate on top of that. The 35mm boxes are full so I can't use slimmer ones if they exist. Maybe it just is what it is and I just leave them as is. I'm not an electrician so theres probably not many options open to me.

Thanks for the advice

Sounds like you have boxes meant for surface wiring which have been partially chopped into the plaster and lathe.
My honest opinion, is leave well alone, if it ain’t broke stop trying to fix it.

Hi - what’s in the boxes? And yes, some pics please - the wall, the box and it’s contents. It should be fixable but you may need some help with the cabling.

I assume you mean back boxes. You can get 25mm ones but as you say there is no room for the whatever is inside.
Yeah the back boxes sorry. I think I wouldn't get all the wires inside a slimmer box though. It might be that all the wires are not required and are historic but I couldn't say. It's a shame the wires can't float in the wall and then I just put a faceplate on to indicate cables are there but I guess this wouldn't meet regulations.

it can be done with perhaps a little butchery. whereabouts are you. a member may be close.

Cut a decorative piece of 10mm thick wood to fit round the protrusion and re fit a faceplate of your choice. Other than that, as others have said, you’re looking a bit of butchery into the stud wall, obviously making sure that you’re not hacking into something structural.

it can be done with perhaps a little butchery. whereabouts are you. a member may be close.

Edinburgh, it's not big deal it was just if I could do something myself about it. Both walls are being replastering soon so maybe the plasterer can thicken out the plaster layer a bit to reduce how much the boxes protrude.

or get them sunk in more if you're having plastering done.

Sounds like you need a multi tool to remove some of the stud that the boxes are attached to.
Another option, may be that the conductors inside the box can be made shorter so a shallower box can be used.

Here's a couple of pictures of the wiring in each box. There seems to be quite a bit of wire pulled through but I thought this was good practice.

Attachments

• Junction boxes too deep for wall 20190621_193311 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190621_193311.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Junction boxes too deep for wall 20190620_080835 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190620_080835.jpg
    691.6 KB · Views: 103
Looks like some 3 plate wiring points

Could be made off into MF boxes and pushed back into the wall prior to skimming

But it isn’t a DIY job imo

Looks to me like a surface box been buried into the wall, rather than a proper back box.
Straightforward job to tidy that up. One of the walls looks like it needs some polyfilla anyway.

Pity.
I was in Edinburgh on Friday for a quick job.
I’m up to offer my services. OP can PM me, can be done ASAP

Here's a couple of pictures of the wiring in each box. There seems to be quite a bit of wire pulled through but I thought this was good practice.
looking at those pics, seems that the boxes are just used as JBs. (with a blank plate on top). if so, a ny decent spark could reterminate in either a shallower box or one sunk in a bit ( as spin's post #12). then the blanking plate could be flush to the plaster. obviously needs to be seen to indicate the presence of cables, and possible future use for a socket/s or FCU/s

Reply to Junction boxes too deep for wall in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock