Discuss Just a minor flesh wound ! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Had one of those days with niggling little scrapes and cuts. Started off with some how piercing the end of my thumb with a very short piece of SWA armour. Don’t know how the hell it happened but would have provided a good blood sample aka like those finger ----- tests. Later on cut a very nice little nick in the end of another finger. Hey ho, still alive and sipping beer. ;)

Had one of those days with niggling little scrapes and cuts. Started off with some how piercing the end of my thumb with a very short piece of SWA armour. Don’t know how the hell it happened but would have provided a good blood sample aka like those finger ----- tests. Later on cut a very nice little nick in the end of another finger. Hey ho, still alive and sipping beer. ;)
got to maintain your blood alcohol level.

Come on then Tel. What’s the best/worst work sparky related injury you’ve ever had? Would like to see this going a bit Monty Python esc :p

Come on then Tel. What’s the best/worst work sparky related injury you’ve ever had? Would like to see this going a bit Monty Python esc :p
hmm.apart from steelies crippling my feet and hard hats causing injury through not being able to see scaffold poles, can't say i ever had anything more serious than the occasional cut. however, since being on blood thinning tablets, a slight scratch from a cable end on arm results in a torrent of blood requiring a pad of bog roll secured with sparks' tape. brown, blue red. gn/y, anything that comes to hand first.

Finger cuts are daily occurrences... and electrical tape is the go to first aid kit.
It’s getting cold now, so when you cut yourself, it doesn’t bleed or hurt until you get back into the warm.

Just last week, a little diy in the house, I was cutting through a partition wall plasterboard when the saw jammed. Not thinking, I just grabbed the metal and gave it a tug to free it. A perfectly straight red line from my finger down across the palm of my hand.
Don’t grab the pointy bits!

Finger cuts are daily occurrences... and electrical tape is the go to first aid kit.
It’s getting cold now, so when you cut yourself, it doesn’t bleed or hurt until you get back into the warm.

Just last week, a little diy in the house, I was cutting through a partition wall plasterboard when the saw jammed. Not thinking, I just grabbed the metal and gave it a tug to free it. A perfectly straight red line from my finger down across the palm of my hand.
Don’t grab the pointy bits!
John Wick does it so why can’t we?

I managed to partially severe my thumb with a circular saw doing some DIY, requiring micro surgery to reattach it at my local A&E. I woke up after 4hrs surgery, managed to ---- the bed and puke up in the ward bathroom.

When I returned to the hand clinic on Monday morning, the surgeon removed my hand cast, and was so impressed with his work, he asked me if he could show his handy work to his boss. I agreed. He was gone some time, so I thought Id take a butchers. I did & passed out while sat in the cubicle chair, and could only see legs going past as I was bent over. Eventually a nurse responded to my pleas for help, she said 'you looked at it, didn't you. You stupid boy!'

First time I'd been in hospital as a patient.

I managed to partially severe my thumb with a circular saw doing some DIY, requiring micro surgery to reattach it at my local A&E. I woke up after 4hrs surgery, managed to ---- the bed and puke up in the ward bathroom.

When I returned to the hand clinic on Monday morning, the surgeon removed my hand cast, and was so impressed with his work, he asked me if he could show his handy work to his boss. I agreed. He was gone some time, so I thought Id take a butchers. I did & passed out while sat in the cubicle chair, and could only see legs going past as I was bent over. Eventually a nurse responded to my pleas for help, she said 'you looked at it, didn't you. You stupid boy!'

First time I'd been in hospital as a patient.
I've done the same thing except with a grinder so there wasn't much of my thumb left to attach. So I've got half a thumb on my left hand.

I was once doing the terminations on a db and a t&e swung down from above me. One of the conductors was sticking out and angled just enough that it hit me point blank straight into my eye and pierced my eye ball. Luckily there was no lasting damage other than some scar tissue. But I had to wear an eye patch for a long time to prevent infection so I had quite a bit of the old pirate banter!

Had numerous minor injuries at work, but only two of them needed hospital care.

One was getting my thumb trapped in a scissor lift guard rail which sent me into shock. It swelled and I had to have the nail removed and blood drained. That was the worst bit, when they slid the scalpel under my nail and the local anaesthetic hadn't worked :triumph:

The other was trying to catch a falling bit of 6 inch galv trunking lid in a riser cupboard. The ragged edge made light work of my palm, 5 stitches I think it was. Always file your metalwork !!!

I've also ended up in hospital quite a few times taking workmates there.

I've done the same thing except with a grinder so there wasn't much of my thumb left to attach. So I've got half a thumb on my left hand.

I was once doing the terminations on a db and a t&e swung down from above me. One of the conductors was sticking out and angled just enough that it hit me point blank straight into my eye and pierced my eye ball. Luckily there was no lasting damage other than some scar tissue. But I had to wear an eye patch for a long time to prevent infection so I had quite a bit of the old pirate banter!
Teaching an Apprentice how to make a SWA end off, Don't cut towards you always away from you, you will do yourself a mischief, so what did I do? yes cut towards me and xliced my thumb pretty deep it was.
Got sent to the Local hospital (no NHS in Belgrade) surgeon mumble something at me, gets his stitching kit out, nil anaesthetic just offered me some Slivovitz, a sort of home brew spirit, didn't work, had to drink it awful stuff, 7 stiches later felt no pain, just a nagging headache, arm in a sling and back to site all the other lads wet themselves on seeing me, took a while for me to live that one down.

After me op, I went to see me Doc to get signed off. Hand was throbbing like a bitch. Had been popping the pills hospital gave me for last two days. He asked to see what they gave me. There're no good, just to reduce the swelling, have some of these..........diazepam ..........they were really groovy man.

I know what you mean, no major injuries but one of those days when your hands are all scrapped and just basically been battered. Mine were like that the other day on a rewire. I've now started wearing my Stanley Framer gloves a lot more which really helps Stanley Performance 3-Finger Framer Gloves Grey Large - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/stanley-performance-3-finger-framer-gloves-grey-large/41324

Had numerous minor injuries at work, but only two of them needed hospital care.

One was getting my thumb trapped in a scissor lift guard rail which sent me into shock. It swelled and I had to have the nail removed and blood drained. That was the worst bit, when they slid the scalpel under my nail and the local anaesthetic hadn't worked :triumph:

The other was trying to catch a falling bit of 6 inch galv trunking lid in a riser cupboard. The ragged edge made light work of my palm, 5 stitches I think it was. Always file your metalwork !!!

I've also ended up in hospital quite a few times taking workmates there.
I'm starting to get a bit worried now cause I seem to be quite injury prone compared to you guys. I've done the old finger/thumb trapped quite a few times and been to the hospital to have the blood drained on some occasions. But the last couple of times I've drained the blood myself using a red hot sowing needle to pierce through the damaged nail. It hurts like hell but the relief from the reduced swelling is well worth the pain of the hot needle.

I also, like Pete badly cut my finger whilst making off some swa. The cut was down to the bone and the top of the finger was half hanging off. I cleaned it, "super glued" it back on, bandaged it up and finished off the job mainly using just one hand.

I hate going to A&E

I'm starting to get a bit worried now cause I seem to be quite injury prone compared to you guys. I've done the old finger/thumb trapped quite a few times and been to the hospital to have the blood drained on some occasions. But the last couple of times I've drained the blood myself using a red hot sowing needle to pierce through the damaged nail. It hurts like hell but the relief from the reduced swelling is well worth the pain of the hot needle.

I also, like Pete badly cut my finger whilst making off some swa. The cut was down to the bone and the top of the finger was half hanging off. I cleaned it, "super glued" it back on, bandaged it up and finished off the job mainly using just one hand.

I hate going to A&E

Yes, I did the hot needle treatment to drain off the swelling whilst waiting for a referral. got a right -------ing from the nurse when she saw the holes though as I could have introduced infection.
I have removed my own stitches before too to save a day off work. Don't mind a bit of first aid at home at all. Now the kids are out on bikes all the time, and coming off them occasionally, I'm passing the skills onto them in the likely event of there being no NHS in the coming decades.

My mate is a bit like you, accident prone but hates hospital. I had to force him to go one time though when he was removing tiles to add sockets and ended up with a ceramic chip in his eyeball. The plank wanted to finish the afternoon off despite his eye streaming with water and not being able to see properly. We were back on site within the hour.
He's great. If there's a shelf he'll bang his head on it, if there's a carpet gripper he'll shred his fingers, if there's a step he'll stumble down it. Constant source of amusement for me.

Yes, I did the hot needle treatment to drain off the swelling whilst waiting for a referral. got a right -------ing from the nurse when she saw the holes though as I could have introduced infection.
I have removed my own stitches before too to save a day off work. Don't mind a bit of first aid at home at all. Now the kids are out on bikes all the time, and coming off them occasionally, I'm passing the skills onto them in the likely event of there being no NHS in the coming decades.

My mate is a bit like you, accident prone but hates hospital. I had to force him to go one time though when he was removing tiles to add sockets and ended up with a ceramic chip in his eyeball. The plank wanted to finish the afternoon off despite his eye streaming with water and not being able to see properly. We were back on site within the hour.
He's great. If there's a shelf he'll bang his head on it, if there's a carpet gripper he'll shred his fingers, if there's a step he'll stumble down it. Constant source of amusement for me.
I could spend all day listing my work related injuries! I'm scarred up like Rambo ? Luckily these days I spend more time office based than on the tools so the accidents have become very rare (probably for the best!)
I've been told off a fair few times by doctors and nurses also for doing d.i.y treatment. But that's just the way I was brought up. My father always medically treated himself unless it was really serious.

I used to do alot of sailing... and one of the good things with that is that everyone is at least first aid qualified, and often far more...

I remember after a long race a mate of mine falling off a bar stool onto a stone floor... cut his forehead open... there were like 8 people in the bar all trained in suturing ! ...and most of us were keen to give it a go... it's not often you get the chance to practice !!

I used to do alot of sailing... and one of the good things with that is that everyone is at least first aid qualified, and often far more...

I remember after a long race a mate of mine falling off a bar stool onto a stone floor... cut his forehead open... there were like 8 people in the bar all trained in suturing ! ...and most of us were keen to give it a go... it's not often you get the chance to practice !!
can just imagine the poor sod being stitched up with rigging cord and a sail needle. he' d have thought he was going to be buried at sea. :p :p :p

My father always medically treated himself unless it was really serious.

My father had a similar philosophy.

I recall he had a tooth that needed extraction. Rather than going to the dentist, he tied a piece of string to it and the other end to a door handle. Then slammed the door shut. Took him several attempts, but he got there in the end. Not satisfied in his own dentistry skills, he constructed a new dental implant, fashioned from a chicken bone. Which if I recall, was where my Mum drew the line and packed him off to the dentists.

Reply to Just a minor flesh wound ! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net