Discuss Just about to spend a fortune on a new MFT! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hello all.. hope you're having a peaceful saturday?

I am about to buy a new MFT (probably from test-meter as I know they are good) and wanted to ask a few specifics on the megger.

Firstly, how much of a pain is it not being able to just plug the 1711 or the 1721 in to recharge it? Do you seriously have to remove the batteries each time to charge? Don't really want to spend £1000 for the 1731 just to get this function.

Secondly, are there any real benefits of the 1721 over the 1711? One of the differences is the 1721 offers '15mA continuity test', does this mean it can do a more accurate test when the results are very low? Another function on the 1721 is that it can test leakage current, can it test down to very low amounts of earth leakage, i.e <30mA to look for nuisance tripping on RCD's?

Lastly, any other differences you find really noticeable between the 1710(1711), 1720(1721) and 1730(1731)?

Cheers :)

I see the difference in price between the 1721 & 1731 is £156. I've had my 1730 for 5 years, I charge it 2 or 3 times a month. So that's 6 x 3 x 12 x 5 = 1080 AA batteries = £400 ish.

I'd get the 1731, and you get a nice little earth spike kit, which will be useful, when that 18th comes in :)

PS, don't get the one with the on-site software, its pants!
PPS, you will be saving the Planet from all those spent batteries
PPPS, taking out rechargeable batteries to recharge them, would be a pain in the arse

Last edited:
Metrel MI3000. Got a few in work and are just as good as Megger without the price tag.

Ethos 8400 looks to do a lot for the price tag, megger is overpriced for luttle features and in my own past personal experience not so reliable. Thinking of changing my slowly dying fluke with an ethos soon

Isn't the 1741 the new megger?
Indeed and at only ~£35 more than the 1731, I would imagine the 1731 will get phased out once current stocks are exhausted.
AFAIK you don't get a spike kit with the 1731 as mentioned in an earlier post, (you certainly don't with the 1741) but it is included with the 1735. Best solution IMO is buy the 1741 and the 1001-810 test kit as an add-on for ~£35

Nice to see Megger with so many models to chose from...they failed wholeheartedly to get the much promised AVO835 to a counter...
I was thinking about you and the 835 the other day and realized that we’d heard nothing so probably you hadn’t either!

Metrel MI3000. Got a few in work and are just as good as Megger without the price tag.
Thats what I have at the moment. I agree it's pretty good, but I have nothing to compare it to so I thought I'd take the risk and buy a different one. As above, I particularly like the fact the megger can do a 2 lead no trip loop test.

Just out of interest.. to the guys who own a 1710, 1711, 1720 or 1721, do you use rechargeable batteries and take them out to recharge, or do you use non rechargeable batteries?

I was thinking about you and the 835 the other day and realized that we’d heard nothing so probably you hadn’t either!

I am breathing in to a paper bag,as i type...

I rang the technical office,every other month for over a year,and got the royal fobbing...a la Blues Brothers...suit late back from the cleaners...an old friend from out of town...a flood...a plague of locusts...

Eventually,i got to speak to their UK head of product development,or similar,and after much tapping of the shuttlecock,he towelled it,and said it would probably not be coming up for sale.

He admitted that i had earned the right to feel fully let-down,as they could not sell me a product,i had promised to me,on many successive occasions,had in a brochure,had in my hand,at one show!

Anywho...i got over being reamed by corporate Britain,and haven't considered Fentonol as an option...yet!

I rang the technical office,every other month for over a year,and got the royal fobbing...a la Blues Brothers...suit late back from the cleaners...an old friend from out of town...a flood...a plague of locusts...

Eventually,i got to speak to their UK head of product development,or similar,and after much tapping of the shuttlecock,he towelled it,and said it would probably not be coming up for sale.

He admitted that i had earned the right to feel fully let-down,as they could not sell me a product,i had promised to me,on many successive occasions,had in a brochure,had in my hand,at one show!

Anywho...i got over being reamed by corporate Britain,and haven't considered Fentonol as an option...yet!

It was even advertised in PE last issue or the one before because it was the only multimeter that could perform ‘this’ task - I was even sold on it BUT luckily it didn’t take over my life!
I’m sorry for your loss.

No I haven't. I kind of like the fact the megger can do a 2 lead (no trip) loop test. Perhaps I'll slow down and take a broader look though.

That’s not as much of an attractive feature as it sounds, according to the manual it should only be used when the 3 lead test is not possible.
It’s quite prone to giving less accurate readings.

That’s not as much of an attractive feature as it sounds, according to the manual it should only be used when the 3 lead test is not possible.
It’s quite prone to giving less accurate readings.

Out of interest, I've compared readings a few times, using 3 & 2 lead tests. The results were always the same.

Reply to Just about to spend a fortune on a new MFT! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock