Discuss Just another example of what you find every day in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, it's those damn light fittings again! Really annoyed I didn't get a picture.
Anyway, a mate asked me to look at a lighting problem in his house, where a switch put on 2 lights, and the other switch (2 gang) did nothing, whereas he wanted 1 switch to put on center light and one to put on wall light. Ok, one switch put on both, the other (tested live on both sides) did nothing.
The double switch was brass, the cables to the switches were t&e with the cpc unsheathed but connected to the back-box earth terminal...however, the chap who had installed the new ceiling light had omitted to screw the brass front back onto the back-box, so it was "floating", with no earth connection. OK, maybe that's not too serious, but when I tweaked it away from the wall, 2 of the 4 connections fell out of their screw connectors which were so loose they can hardly have been connecting at all. I checked what I could, sleeved the earth wires, took an extra earth from the back of the plate and also screwed the plate onto the back-box. Impossible to tell where the wiring had gone wrong, so resolved to return another day. My mate said the ceiling light was very recent...nice polished-nickel effect job...so I decided to have a look. Typical ikea or jl item, quite well made though, all metal and the connector was the typical choc-block 3 way with L E N, the E having a metal tag bolted to the fitting. The L was L, the N was N, the E was...the CPC on the cable had been cut short, and the excess twisted round the PVC sheath to keep it tidy and out of the way...
I mentioned that the wires seemed a bit dull, almost corroded, and my mate said that water had been leaking through that outlet for ages until he got the roof repaired, which was when he got the new light fitting.
So, unearthed Class 1 light fitting, and unearthed metal switch-plate (which didn't do what it was supposed to do) and who had done this work?
Andy! The daughter's boyfriend, and apprentice electrician...
Do they think they know it all?

who had done this work?
Andy! The daughter's boyfriend

And he ought to be kicked up the arse by your daughter :highheel: then have his screwdrivers confiscated
......and a megger set to 1000v attached to a sensitive part of his anatomy.
Seriously though, he must be made aware of the dangerous electrical work he has carried out and it's possible consequences.

Just to clarify, Andy is the boyfriend of my mate's daughter, not mine...but whatever, I fully agree as to your suggestions! He is due to revisit the site tomorrow, when he will have his rear-end well and truly kicked. I can tell you that my mate phoned him to ask what he had been thinking,and as for the unsheathed earths in the back box he said he hadn't wanted to undo them and sheath them because they appeared to be well rusted into the terminal...and he hadn't put the screws back in to hold the faceplate on because they were a bit fiddly and he was in a hurry! As for the lack of an earth on the light fitting, well apparently that's just an option cos it's only a bulb really and doesn't need one.
I'm going to ask him to service the brakes on my car next week...

Why has he let an unqualified electrician and your mate's daughters boyfriend do the work in the first place and not asked you/advise?

Probably because I'm not an electrician! LOL!
However, he has asked me to cast an eye over a few other bits as he is concerned that maybe the sockets in the same room might not be up to scratch...time to put new batteries in my proving unit, methinks.

Reply to Just another example of what you find every day in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net