Discuss Kitchen sockets tripped wont come back on in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

c1ai7e

DIY
Reaction score
So my kitchen sockets tripped, it won't let me switch back on just keeps tripping again. Im no expert, but switched all sockets off excepts the ones I cant get too fridge/freezer and washing machine.

Is this a fire hazard or safe to leave overnight till I can contact landlord in the morning. Sorry if this sounds dumb. But as a single mum I just want to make sure its safe.

I have a pic but won't let me upload

likely to be a dodgy appliance , first thing I always do is unplug everything then try to reset the rcd

So my kitchen sockets tripped, it won't let me switch back on just keeps tripping again. Im no expert, but switched all sockets off excepts the ones I cant get too fridge/freezer and washing machine.

Is this a fire hazard or safe to leave overnight till I can contact landlord in the morning. Sorry if this sounds dumb. But as a single mum I just want to make sure its

likely to be a dodgy appliance , first thing I always do is unplug everything then try to reset the rcd
Im guessing the fridge/freezer or washing machine as I cant get to these plugs. Is it safe if I leave them off till I can contact landlord in the morning? No fire hazard or anything? Thanks for replying

In effect the rcd has done its job and disconnected the supply

my gut says once everything is completely unplugged it should reset

Switching all sockets off is not sufficient, you need to unplug everything you can, including the kettle, toaster microwave, etc, etc, then try to reset the RCD, if it then resets you have narrowed the problem down to one of the appliances you have unplugged, if you then plug in each one in turn and the RCD trips, you have found your problem appliance, hopefully its one of those and not the inaccessible fridge or washing machine. Good Luck.

There are likely to be things like a boiler, fan, cooker hood and so on, connected by means of a switched fused connection unit rather than a plug and socket. If so, these switches will need to be switched off in order to narrow down the reason for the tripping RCD.

Could be anything from getting a 24hr repairman out at short notice, as he has a contract for such emergencies....

or, he'll come round himself, sometime in the next 6 weeks... poke about in the board... uninsulated screwdrivers of course.... get stuck... call in his mate, the plumber/builder that does a bit... pay him in beer to do exactly the same poking about.
Flick the rcd back on and hold it until the contacts weld together and sure to never trip again. ?

I was one, Mike... Tried my best, but when my one and only tenant left the place with holes in the wall, broken window and a dead bird down the back of a radiator.... it'll be a long time before i try again.

Yes, im sure not all landlords are like that, as not all tenants are like what i had...

I was fortunate in that my tenants kept the properties in good order, the last one that left did leave the place rather dirty, but immaculate by some standards, perhaps it's an area thing, rent out in a poor area or in a middle social area, or wealthy area, just a guess, no facts to back up that assumption.

I was fortunate in that my tenants kept the properties in good order, the last one that left did leave the place rather dirty, but immaculate by some standards, perhaps it's an area thing, rent out in a poor area or in a middle social area, or wealthy area, just a guess, no facts to back up that assumption.
I don't think you can define standards of cleanliness by social class Mike. Some of the filthiest places I've had the misfortune of working in have been inhabited by 'professionals', even doctors and in one case an Orthopaedic Consultant - thick dust,piled up unwashed dishes in a very untidy and grubby kitchen and dog hair everywhere.

It was an assumption on my part, as I said I never had any of those problems, I never let to any tenants I had not previous knowledge of or did not have immaculate references that could be verified, I never let any of my properties to dogs ? or dog owners, of course you can always find fault of any person be they professional or not, but in general terms there are some safeguards you can take.

Reply to Kitchen sockets tripped wont come back on in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net