Discuss Kitchen Wiring Dilema **Newbe*** in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

magpie9999

Hi people

I'm new to this and could really appreciate some advice.

I'm in the process of putting in a new kitchen and I'm adding a cooker hood.

I've already chased the wall and the socket point alongside a double socket thinking I could spur from it only to fund it has a spur already (which I believe may be running the fridge freezer)...should have checked first :(.

anyway this is the wiring layout.

kitchen wiring.png
what i would like to know is if its possible to run the spur from the double socket for the cooker hood and leave the fridge freezer single socket spured also???

also not sure why they never wired up the single socket alongside the cooker switch but could this be spured from the fcu running the cupboard lights???

thanks for any advice you can give.

no mate i'm not.

i'm going to get an electrician out to do the work but wanted to know if i'm screwed with the wall chasing i've already done.

i wasn't planning on spuring from the cooker switch? I wanted to spur from the fcu to the single socket alongside the cooker switch as it has no wiring at all at the moment.

some other forums have suggested the 2nd spur from the double socket should be possible if to and fcu???

i'll get my brother in law to look tomorrow hes a sparky for nissan, sure he can sort it.

i wasn't planning on spuring from the cooker switch? I wanted to spur from the fcu to the single socket alongside the cooker switch as it has no wiring at all at the moment.

some other forums have suggested the 2nd spur from the double socket should be possible if to and fcu???

i'll get my brother in law to look tomorrow hes a sparky for nissan, sure he can sort it.

was that the plumbing forum?

Obviously not sparks forums then.

if your brother is a spark dont lose sleep over it.. Go to low fell drink beer and dont worry about it

Ask your electrician where he want the chases then you provide the labour for the chasing. Remember diagonal runs are not permitted unless protected by something like steel conduit earthed at both ends.

There are many other things to consider such as RCD protection so it's not "just a few bits of wire" like some folk seem to think it is.

Ask your electrician where he want the chases then you provide the labour for the chasing. Remember diagonal runs are not permitted unless protected by something like steel conduit earthed at both ends.

There are many other things to consider such as RCD protection so it's not "just a few bits of wire" like some folk seem to think it is.

Really.. but It saves loads of cable...... :)

Ahhhhhh flashbacks from when a kitchen fitter did my Mother's kitchen and wired everything reverse polarity and upside down light switches and spurs. Good times good times

Seriously though, the whole trouble with domestic electrics is to the untrained person it looks so easy - it's wires connecting this to that - and anybody can do that and things will probably work.

The problem and the danger comes when things go wrong and you find that the earth isn't there or the bonding isn't up to scratch, the protection devices don't operate like they should and people get hurt or killed and it's YOU who has to face the consequences - IF your'e still alive that is !!

It isn't until you start to learn more about it by reading the books, talking to "proper" sparks or going to college etc. your self that it suddenly hits you just how wrong you were in thinking "it's just ...."

It's like driving a car - anybody can start the engine, select first gear, release the handbrake & drop the clutch. You catch my drift here????????????

Seriously though, the whole trouble with domestic electrics is to the untrained person it looks so easy - it's wires connecting this to that - and anybody can do that and things will probably work.

The problem and the danger comes when things go wrong and you find that the earth isn't there or the bonding isn't up to scratch, the protection devices don't operate like they should and people get hurt or killed and it's YOU who has to face the consequences - IF your'e still alive that is !!

It isn't until you start to learn more about it by reading the books, talking to "proper" sparks or going to college etc. your self that it suddenly hits you just how wrong you were in thinking "it's just ...."

It's like driving a car - anybody can start the engine, select first gear, release the handbrake & drop the clutch. You catch my drift here????????????

There's Geordie again, taking a by steamy one on the thread. :****:

Aw the poo emote doesn't work

Reply to Kitchen Wiring Dilema **Newbe*** in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net