Discuss Lamp post under mains pylon question in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

This is not an unusual occurrence,there are situations all round the country,where buildings and structures are in close proximity to HV.

There are several properties local to me,where the lines run right over the roofs,and you would never get an accurate compass reading,in a bedroom;)

The compensation arrangements,which several of my friends have benefited from,are made with these factors in mind.

If the lamp posts meet the required clearances,and the HV distribution provider has no issues,anything else is just an accepted anomaly,which those with experience,would expect to encounter.

1. I turned up this reference:
  2. Play it safe when working near overhead power lines - https://blog.horizonplatforms.co.uk/play-it-safe-when-working-near-overhead-power-lines/
The higher the voltage, the more humid the conditions, then the further electricity can jump. That’s why you always need to have a minimum approach distance (MAD) – and clearly define it with markers in the ground. Make sure to also check whether your worksite has any requirements of its own.

Our IPAF training programmes recommend that your MAD is:

15m (50ft) + fully extended boom from an electrical pylon

9m (30ft) + fully extended boom from cables on wooden
poles.

2. I think you have been put in harms way and should have received appropriate training before you started work or suitably skilled folk employed to do the work. It is not enough to be given an insulated access platform and some PPE. If it was me I'd be pretty upset with my employer. Are you using an overhead high voltage line proximity detector such as:

HiVolt Alert™ Proximity Warning System - http://www.atlaspolar.com/material-handling-equipment/hivolt-alert.html

3. HSE Electricity at work Safe working practices:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/hsg85.pdf

Last edited:
If it is an 11 or 33 kv line I wouldn't have thought they would be on pylons, they usually carry 132 and above. What is the distance from the lamppost top to the cable? I doubt the 11kv line would induce that much voltage.

If it is an 11 or 33 kv line I wouldn't have thought they would be on pylons, they usually carry 132 and above. What is the distance from the lamppost top to the cable? I doubt the 11kv line would induce that much voltage.
Wouldn't like to try it out for size though Percyprod.

One solution would be replacing the columns for 'mid-hinged' aka 'folding' type. I'd have thought the original Risk Assessment would have made these an obvious choice. Then all future maintenance/repairs could be done at ground level.

This is the M1 northbound just after the Hemal Hempstead junction you have the standard 12mtr (I think) then when the pylon goes overhead you have these 5 mtr postsupload_2018-6-17_23-17-31.png You never said what H& S said last Tuesday and what is the distance between the lamp post head and the pylon?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the M1 northbound just after the Hemal Hempstead junction you have the standard 12mtr (I think) then when the pylon goes overhead you have these 5 mtr postsView attachment 42839 You never said what H& S said last Tuesday and what is the distance between the lamp post head and the pylon?
I've never seen that stretch of road that clear... :D

I would strongly suggest the following:
1. Get a site visit from a Authorised Person at the DNO.
2. Once the hight limits have been confirmed then think about folding light columns that meet the hight limits.
3. If the customer doesn like the cost of the DNO visit then show them Horrific moment concert-goer is electrocuted after climbing stage at Brazil music festival and grabbing power cable - https://www.thesun.co.uk/video/news/horrific-moment-concert-goer-is-electrocuted-after-climbing-stage-at-brazil-music-festival-and-grabbing-power-cable/

I would strongly suggest the following:
1. Get a site visit from a Authorised Person at the DNO.
2. Once the hight limits have been confirmed then think about folding light columns that meet the hight limits.
3. If the customer doesn like the cost of the DNO visit then show them Horrific moment concert-goer is electrocuted after climbing stage at Brazil music festival and grabbing power cable - https://www.thesun.co.uk/video/news/horrific-moment-concert-goer-is-electrocuted-after-climbing-stage-at-brazil-music-festival-and-grabbing-power-cable/
yuk.

Work has been postponed due to client approval. I would take a picture but it’s a restricted site and I’d get my arse chewed.
UKPN confirmed that the distance is ‘>20’ and is safe to proceed. The park was constructed in 2003 so it had been signed off.
Going forward it’s going to be a pain. We’ve said in the short term of putting corn lamps in for now.
We have asked about the foldable posts but due to expense it won’t happen.
Cheers though guys. Originally I was just wondering if we could get rid of any induced static through earth rods, like a farraday’s cage on a supply transformer for example. Again for the health and safety mad - wouldn’t have touched it if it was unsafe.
Scary sh*t that it could induce voltage from 20m + during peak!

Work has been postponed due to client approval. I would take a picture but it’s a restricted site and I’d get my arse chewed.
UKPN confirmed that the distance is ‘>20’ and is safe to proceed. The park was constructed in 2003 so it had been signed off.
Going forward it’s going to be a pain. We’ve said in the short term of putting corn lamps in for now.
We have asked about the foldable posts but due to expense it won’t happen.
Cheers though guys. Originally I was just wondering if we could get rid of any induced static through earth rods, like a farraday’s cage on a supply transformer for example. Again for the health and safety mad - wouldn’t have touched it if it was unsafe.
Scary sh*t that it could induce voltage from 20m + during peak!
You could always wear a Faraday suit, sorry stupid suggestion, meant to be funny, but I guess in this case it ain't funny.

Reply to Lamp post under mains pylon question in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net