Discuss LAN Socket to ethernet/internet in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

QCov02

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
I live in a 2 story suburban home, and want to run ethernet from the second floor through to the basement. Obviously, we don't want to have a loose wire running through the home, so we settled for having the internet run through the power outlets. This is kinda slow though, so I was looking for alternative methods for having this done. Throughout our home, we have LAN outlets which I'm assuming were at one point used for wired phones, but are not in use at the moment. Is it at all possible to use these to run ethernet from our router to one of these sockets. I have attached pictures of these sockets. I believe they are cat5, though I could be wrong about this, and they are smaller than the ethernet port in my pc. Is it as easy as buying some form of converter, plugging the outlet into one socket and then running a wire through another? I feel like that would be too easy.

Thank you for your help!

TL;DR
Can I run ethernet/internet through my house's phone/lan lines? If so, how would I do this?

Attachments

• IMG_1982 (1).jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1981.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 10
no, that is a phone socket or something similar.
it is RJ11 not RJ45 (LAN)

all network cables have to be run point to point i.e. they cant be commend together.
it is not a big job to install some network cables so you have a proper connection to downstairs but it needs to be done correctly.

First thing is to remove the phone faceplate and see what cable is behind it, could be cat 5 or not. Second work out where all the cables go to, if they are daisy chained like James says, its game over. If they all go back to a central junction box in the cellar and its cat 5 you may be able to convert it. But check the wiring out first.
Alternative is to use an external grade cat 5 and go outside down the wall and back in a gain. I have done this in my own home for this reason.
Good Luck
P&S

Reply to LAN Socket to ethernet/internet in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net