• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
  • If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Leaving British Army advice/work in the Electrical Work Up For Grabs |Electrical Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pwill

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone and thank you for taking the time reading this...

I have been in the army for 14 years and during which time I have been working at weekends and my leave time for an electrician who taught me from scratch. Although this was all in the domestic side I have worked on several re wires of houses, replaced CU'S etc.

I currently hold 18th edition, Part P and a napit certificate of competence.

I am currently looking for any job opportunities with an electrician in the M3 corridor area to gain more experience or any guidance or advice of how to progress further leaving the forces into being an electrician would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Best immediate advice would be to get all you can out of the forces, funded course wise, before you leave. The qualifications you currently hold don't encompass any of the recognised core knowledge qualifications. The better qualified and educated you are the more of a chance you have of getting continued work.
Sounds like you should have a good practical grounding on which to build.

Thanks for the advice Andy, I am trying to do exactly that. Would you say the qualifications that I hold don't amount to much then? What would be the route that I could take from here?

Thanks again

The route you should be aiming for is a NVQ3 at the end of it all. The core qualifications are the city and guilds 2365 levels 2&3 which are needed to be completed before the NVQ.
I think. I'm a bit behind on current quals, but maybe others can advise ?

Welcome to the forum Pwill , and the very best of luck to you.
A lot on here will appreciate what you have done and will give you all the help they can. :)

Hi and welcome to mate, what cap badge were you just out of interest, and did you go through CTP at Aldershot?

Can't you stay in the forces until we are properly out of the the EU and we've pulled the draw bridge up just in case of any foreign incursions by benefit scroungers and illegal immigrants from the EU ?

Morris Services - Getting Started - https://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp
Above is the link to the definitive methods of entry to the trade of electrician. It details requirements for domestic only and commercial and industrial as well as domestic. Those routes are the only way in to being a bona fide electrician. As you are using CTP they should know this and have informed and guided you accordingly which it seems as if they did not. There have been quite a few forces guys on here who are asking these questions. I am not a careers adviser yet I can access this information why can't they tell you this. I am not having a pop at you it just does not seem right that CTP set up to give smooth transitions from forces to civvy street don't seem to have a clue and don't really assist as they should. Could be wrong so ignore this if I am.

The qualifications you already are certainly not a waste of time. Try to get the forces to pay for one of the core qualifications you need as others have said. The cost varies between £2000 - £7000! so don't go spending your pay off on the course whatever you do. And best of luck fella you have full respect from me.

Morris Services - Getting Started - https://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp
Above is the link to the definitive methods of entry to the trade of electrician. It details requirements for domestic only and commercial and industrial as well as domestic. Those routes are the only way in to being a bona fide electrician. As you are using CTP they should know this and have informed and guided you accordingly which it seems as if they did not. There have been quite a few forces guys on here who are asking these questions. I am not a careers adviser yet I can access this information why can't they tell you this. I am not having a pop at you it just does not seem right that CTP set up to give smooth transitions from forces to civvy street don't seem to have a clue and don't really assist as they should. Could be wrong so ignore this if I am.

Agreed. There have been quite a few ex forces guys through this forum that seem to have been fobbed off with a Electrical Trainee course by their former employers.

You will be able to get the 2365 courses funded via the mod/learning credits as you get demobbed.
they might try the short course route which if you just want to do domestic is fine if you have the engineering background to not be dangerous.
You can also tap into the various forces charities for help with course fees etc.. the royal british legion will usually give you a couple hundred for tools etc to help you into work. the civvystreet website is brilliant.
when i left the forces i got all mine paid for.

Reply to Leaving British Army advice/work in the Electrical Work Up For Grabs |Electrical Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back