Discuss LED downlights in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

diditrain

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, planning a re-model of my living room and am looking for some ideas for the lighting arrangement.
I like the idea of recessed downlights and was thinking along the lines of LED`s.
Any one use/recommend them
Ceiling is getting replaced so patching holes is not an issue.

Oh they'll last a lot longer but there are ....isshoooz.

They don't kick out a lot of energy/light flux if you know what I mean, and they're not very 'penetrative' so if you're seeking to replace conventional lighting with them be prepared to pepper the ceiling with them to get the lux levels up.
Another 'problem' is the very limited spectral output that LEDs produce. Essentially all the light output is concentrated within 2 or 3 frequency bands whereas a flourescent or filament lamp contains a much broader spectrum of frequencies which are more 'easy' on the mind if you get my drift. They aren't the best for colour rendering if that's important to you.

I did a quick calculation for a mate who had 12 x 12v halogens in his kitchen which were inadequately cabled and had started to cook. He was using 600 watts to light a kitchen and still it wasn't a patch on the lux levels he had from a single 6 foot flouro. Replacing them all with LED units dumped the consumption from 600 W to about 25W!! but the lux level dropped as well but in nowhere near the same proportion as the drop in running cost.

Oh and he was having to replace a 50W halogen lamp every month and with a high ceiling it was a monstrous pain in the arse.

If you want S-E-R-I-O-U-S LED output check out this FULL spectrum bad lad!
Enfis

LED downlights {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Shot at 2008-01-31

Quattro LED Light Engines, they have to water cool this beeyatch! Spectrum is software controlled so you can produce whatever spectral output you want. Think they're about £5k a pop though! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to LED downlights in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock