Discuss LEDs and dimmers - anyone anyone found the perfect match? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

polo1

-
Arms
Reaction score
As per the title, I’m struggling to find a dimmer which does not cost the earth and works across a number of makes of LEDs.
My regular wholesaler stocks Aurora dimmers and Bell LEDs, but I’m finding a regular flicker on lamps when using the two together.
Someone will be able to recommend a readily available dimmer?????

I like the v-pro (any other trailing edge options? not tried the zano) but have had issues matching it with enlite gu10's, which resulted in the dimmer crapping out completely and not dimming at all. varilight recommend megaman. I will be fitting 11 ansell prism units on one vpro next week so we will see how that works out.

I agree I've found varilight vpro to be good across any I've used, bit pricey at around 18 quid compared to a normal one but saves any hassle

Enlite LED's and Aurora Dimmer Module are good on price and very compatible (as you'd like to think as same company!!)

Varilight Pro takes a bit of setting up but is a great dimmer module and had zero issues other than a bit of time setting it up.

I normally install the dimmer that the lighting manufacturer recommends as compatible with their luminaires. Mostly Varilight or one of those Zano clones sold by your local wholesaler.

Thanks all for the feedback/suggestions. Interestingly, the dimmer I have used with Bell LEDs is on their list as a compatible dimmer - go figure.
Think I’ll give the Varilight a go.

I like the v-pro (any other trailing edge options? not tried the zano) but have had issues matching it with enlite gu10's, which resulted in the dimmer crapping out completely and not dimming at all. varilight recommend megaman. I will be fitting 11 ansell prism units on one vpro next week so we will see how that works out.

It'll work great with the Prism. I use them all the time.

Phase angle control is never going to give the best dimming performance with LED technology. It will never dim like amd incandescent lamp because it isn’t an incandescent lamp.

A good dimmer needs a good bulb as well. i have tested V Com and V Pro with Ledison T8 tubes and led panels. Both Varilight options work smoothly. For large loads with big inrush current Vcom will do. i had 500w load only Triac based switches can do that.
Triac is a budget solution. for accurate,proportional dimming 1-10 is a trouble free solution it does fail there is wide compatibility with led lamps and led drivers.
a good 1-10 dimmer switch with on/off button costs around £29. i control 25 panels with a single dimmer using a pair of control cables (+ & -)
let me know if someone needs any help with dimmers

Check the type of dimmer and type of lamp. Trailing-edge dimmers are best for capacitive loads (such as LED lamps), providing the actual lamps are capable of being dimmed, in which case check with the manufacturer.

Reply to LEDs and dimmers - anyone anyone found the perfect match? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net