Discuss Legal completion of a EICR ?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

LukeD

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
For a long term tenancy .I was understanding a EICR had to be completed by the 1.April 2021 ? As All landlords have been made aware of the tests for some years etc . Friend who is renting tells me their landlord has not arranged to have one carried out yet .

For a long term tenancy .I was understanding a EICR had to be completed by the 1.April 2021 ? As All landlords have been made aware of the tests for some years etc . Friend who is renting tells me their landlord has not arranged to have one carried out yet .
I live in a private rented house, I have not heard anything from either the landlord or letting agent about having an EICR done.
Ironic, because I have done dozens of EICRs in the last few weeks!

Would different council have their own dates etc ? According to whats online All landlords needed to complete. them by 1.April 2021

No, according to the government it states that must be done, and even with the covid going on, where some peaple say they are shielding, if and if they electrics are not safe, it's not their house but renting.

If a Tennant has not seen evidence of a Landlord having an EICR completed, assuming that it didn't already have a current one from before the legislation came into effect, then the first point of contact would be to whoever they pay rent to.
Be it the Landlord direct or an agent.

I think one of the areas of concern is that a failure to test or rectify any issues found after testing is not followed up by any local authority as a general rule.

the only way that failure to test or maintain the installation is investigated is if the tenant reports it to someone .
many tenants are afraid to do this even if the electrics look “dodgey” for fear of being given notice to leave.

Ensuring the tenant receives a copy is another area the system seems to fail.

They'll only lose it anyway. Like the gas cert and the boiler instructions!!

That's correct, they didn't extend it. They did make some allowances for where a landlord had made 'best effort' to get access.

I have one where a child is due an operation and has to shield beforehand, so it's been put off till May.

However, in those cases the tenant should be aware of course.

I imagine that no local authority is going to chase things up for a little while at least - and even when they are back to 'full' strength they won't likely have enough staff to do much other than respond to complaints.

So as usual, the system was based on a sensible idea, planned badly and implemented badly....

That's correct, they didn't extend it. They did make some allowances for where a landlord had made 'best effort' to get access.

I have one where a child is due an operation and has to shield beforehand, so it's been put off till May.

However, in those cases the tenant should be aware of course.

I imagine that no local authority is going to chase things up for a little while at least - and even when they are back to 'full' strength they won't likely have enough staff to do much other than respond to complaints.

So as usual, the system was based on a sensible idea, planned badly and implemented badly....
Its been a right farce !

I imagine that no local authority is going to chase things up for a little while at least
Not so sure, have a client who has property in west berkshire who has an inspection next week and a current EICR is part of it!!!

I live in a private rented house, I have not heard anything from either the landlord or letting agent about having an EICR done.
Ironic, because I have done dozens of EICRs in the last few weeks!
That'll be interesting, to compare what it should say. Presumably you'd have found anything truly bad yourself by now, and badgered the landlord about it...

Reply to Legal completion of a EICR ?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock