Discuss Length of a 20 amp circuit run in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

PCantin

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there. I am a DIYer and am located in Ontario, Canada.

I would like to put in a dedicated 20 amp circuit into my attached garage for my 15 amp table saw. The circuit will only have one tool on it at a time (the lights and existing outlets are on their own 15 amp circuits and will be left in place). I know it would be best to install a sub-panel for future expansion, but I really only need the one circuit. My question is about the length.

It is 60 feet to the attached garage wall, and then another 20 feet to install the drop-down outlet on the ceiling. Normally I would use 12/2 wire, but due to the length, it will be over the 3% voltage drop guideline. Is this too far over the length guidelines to make this work? I will never be pulling the full 20 amps. The saw has a 15 amp motor, but I am sure it will spike on start up and under heavy loads. The saw will not be used on a continuous basis, and will usually be run for only a few minutes at a time. I will need to check the code here in Ontario to see if I need AFCI protection in an attached garage or just GFCI.

Would it be better to run 10/2 wire the 60 feet to the attached garage wall and then splice to 12/2 wire in a junction box to go the extra 20 feet or so to the drop down outlet, or can I get away with the 12/2 the whole distance for this application?

Thank you for any suggestions you may have for this application.

Reply to Length of a 20 amp circuit run in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock