Discuss Light fitting issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would say, the odds are you've altered the wiring in some way.....but you tell us, you replaced it.

Welcome to the forum mate.
How many cables were going to the fitting?
Did you take any pics of the wiring before replacing it?
It seems you didn't copy how the original light was wired.

Also, how did you wire the new light fitting up?

Last edited:
The photo attached was the wiring before. I copied it exactly the way it was. I wondering if one of the cables are now lose.
[automerge]1591141367[/automerge]
The photo attached was the wiring before. I copied it exactly the way it was. I wondering if one of the cables are now lose.
This was the in
Welcome to the forum mate.
How many cables were going to the fitting?
Did you take any pics of the wiring before replacing it?
It seems you didn't copy how the original light was wired.

Also, how did you wire the new light fitting up?
This was also the instructions to the new light fitting i put up..

Attachments

• 20200528_135712.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20200603-004031_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
From the first pic, it looks like only 1 cable was going to the original light fitting. Is this correct?

No the neutral the earth and live all went into the fitting. That is what is hanging from ceiling

That is what I meant mate. 1 cable with Live, Neutral & Earth wires coming from the ceiling into the fitting?
If only 1 cable then there may be a junction box in the ceiling for the power, switch & loop cable. When you were pulling on the cable for the new light it might have loosened one of the connectors in it. This is purely a guess.
Seeing that one 1 cable is going to the new light, even if one on the wires were loose in the new fitting, it would only affect the new light.

Would i need to break the ceiling to fix this now?

I wouldn't go breaking the ceiling.
Can you get to the floor boards above the light in the hallway?
If you can then you can see how the hall light is wired up and if there is an actual junction box.

Alternatively, you could get an electrician in to look at it for you.

Last edited:
Before accessing the ceiling, it might be worth checking the other - non working - light, just in case you've pulled a cable loose in that light fitting. But I expect you've already done that!

Have you checked that the lamp (light bulb) in the other fitting has not blown?
Sometimes you cann have a strange coincidence.

Reply to Light fitting issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net