Discuss Light switch or pull cord in WC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Clocks

-
Reaction score
Hi all

I have built a WC with a basin for hand washing. There is no shower or bath in there, just a toilet and basin.

I don’t want to install the light switch outside the WC and don’t want a pull cord inside. I would like to install a wall switch on the inside, which would be located to the left side of the basin approximately 300-350mm from the tap. I have been told that this would not be permitted under building regulations and that electrical sign off would not be given. Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

as above ^^^^^. try and locate switch abit further from rthe tap. 600mm or more would be better.

Due to limited space in the average WC, you'll be pushed to get it 600mm away.
What's wrong with outside the door?

IP rated switch? To give the WC that "industrial" look.

Due to limited space in the average WC, you'll be pushed to get it 600mm away.
What's wrong with outside the door?

IP rated switch? To give the WC that "industrial" look.
We are having a ceiling sensor to trigger an LED strip light but the switch is to separately control two spot lights. We want the LED strip light to be the one that is used day to day by us and visitors and the spots only switched on when we need more light eg to clean. If the switch is on the outside, people will automatically go to switch it on when in fact we want the motion sensor light to be used primarily.

Source URL: UK - Light switch or pull cord in WC - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/light-switch-or-pull-cord-in-wc.182554/#post-1602051

Why not a pull-cord switch inside? That's exactly the sort of thing that they are intended for.

Hi all

I have built a WC with a basin for hand washing. There is no shower or bath in there, just a toilet and basin.

I don’t want to install the light switch outside the WC and don’t want a pull cord inside. I would like to install a wall switch on the inside, which would be located to the left side of the basin approximately 300-350mm from the tap. I have been told that this would not be permitted under building regulations and that electrical sign off would not be given. Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Clocks I can’t advise you of UK standards but in the US that would be perfectly fine and legal. Someone from the UK can advise you further. Good luck

pull cords are so ugly and sooo 1970's . anything to do away with them is a big tick in my book. surely modern technology has advanced beyond these dinosaurs.

pull cords are so ugly and sooo 1970's . anything to do away with them is a big tick in my book. surely modern technology has advanced beyond these dinosaurs.

Maybe so. I sometimes think people over think things though. Sometimes simple is better?

We are having a ceiling sensor to trigger an LED strip light but the switch is to separately control two spot lights. We want the LED strip light to be the one that is used day to day by us and visitors and the spots only switched on when we need more light eg to clean. If the switch is on the outside, people will automatically go to switch it on when in fact we want the motion sensor light to be used primarily.

Source URL: UK - Light switch or pull cord in WC - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/light-switch-or-pull-cord-in-wc.182554/#post-1602051
Pop one of these on the outside and then only you will be able to operate the spot lights:

Or place the switch up nice and high, inside or outside so people don't instinctively reach for it.

Keypad with 6 digit Pin. PIN to be changed weekly and never repeated.
and don't forget the 10kW keypad with the PIN and 10 min. timer for when teenagers are in shower.

When you say 300mm from the tap is that horizontal or vertical? If horizontal what height did you intend fitting the switch?
Horizontal. Height would be standard height off the floor.
[automerge]1579544013[/automerge]
Use WiFi activated spot lamps then only you, your wife and the cleaner will be able to switch them on!
? that’s an option!

Last edited:
300mm across and 'standard' height will put it a reasonable distance from the switch.
There is no zoning around basins in bs7671 in the same way as there is around baths/showers.

Reply to Light switch or pull cord in WC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net