Discuss Lighting connection solution in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

astvillain

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I am a DIYer and I'm hoping this question will be a really simple answer for an experience electrician. But as 'you don't know what you don't know' here goes.

I am wanting to put a chandelier up in a room. I have installed a separate weight bearing ring bolt to a joist to take the weight. Now what ideally I would like is - instead of 'permanently' wiring the lighting wire of the chandelier into the existing ceiling light rosette, if there was some kind of safe connector that would allow me to unplug the chandelier from the rosette at times I want to take the chandelier down (which I anticipate needing to do for cleaning fairly regularly).

I'm thinking of something like the ABB connectors you get on outdoor tools, with male and female ends, but not as large and obstrusive. I need to the ceiling rosette end to be safe when the chandelier is unplugged so no chance of getting electrocuted, but also a simple mechanism that won't involve me up a ladder with a screwdriver every time I want to remove the chandelier.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Al

how many cables do you have coming out of the ceiling. a pic. would help.

I was thinking of the Click Scholmore flow connector but as Tel has beaten me to it as he has posted above a photo(s) would help suggest something.

like this . has spare terminal for loop L.

shopping

Not sure the pick helps much as don't have the chandelier yet - its supplied with bare flex.

You can see existing light and the new eye ring... Its just in a study so not a wet room.

telectrix thats the exact sort of thing I was thinking. Where do you get that sort of connector from?

gutterball, I wouldn't want to have to remove the whole existing ceiling rose ideally...

light.jpg

same thing. different make here:

Greenbrook 20A 3-Pole Lighting Connector 250V Pack of 2 - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/greenbrook-20a-3-pole-lighting-connector-250v-pack-of-2/2834r

think if you want to keep a rose, then the maestro is the answer, all depends on what space you have in the new fitting's base.

alternatively, call in an electrician. not more than £50 -£60 inc. connector and testing the circuit.

What about replacing the rose with a 5A round pin socket and just sticking a plug on the chandelier cord? Might look a bit like British Home stores but would be dead easy to take down.

Have you chosen a light fitting as you have fitted this eye in the ceiling, why are you not fitting the light in place of existing ?.

Reply to Lighting connection solution in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net