Discuss Lights on garden fence in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jacko

-
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m going to install some outside lighting, the plan was to use 1.5mm armoured cable from a supply in the garage, run under the new patio that will be laid, going to a weatherproof switch and then from the switch to the first light on the garden fence and so on.

there is already a double socket on the back fence and it would be nice to have the lights off a remote control so they could be switch on from inside the house.

would it be ok to run the lights off a plug top from the socket and use a ‘remote control socket’ to control them? The lights would then be wired in 1.5 hi tuff cable.

there will be about 7 lights in total and they will be fitted with either 6 or 9 amp led bulbs.

thank you

I think he means 6 or 9 watt led bulbs not 6 or 9 amps.
6 amps at 230v = 1380w
9 amps at 230v = 2070w
Quite a bulb i would say !
[automerge]1584331566[/automerge]

Last edited:
Hi - is it a new supply from the garage? If there’s already a socket on the back fence, why not plug into that with the lights? A radio switch could be used to control them as you say.

You can plug a wise box or something similar into the existing socket and then wire the lights back to this. Then all the switch can be done remotely from the house or key fob. No need for any cabling to be taken back the house...

(in fact this is the only way I wire garden lights for the past 10 years. I honestly cant remember the last time I had to struggle to run a switch cable back to the house)

i use a remote receiver enclosed inside a IP65 ad. box. at home it'sa 3 channel, 1 for lights, 2 and 3 for water features. receivers come from China , cheap as chips. not had a failure in 10 years.

Ok, this would meet 18th regs?

lights on the fence plugged into a remote control socket that is plugged into the existing double socket.

a wise box for one circuit seems a bit to much. The remotes sockets are about £20 for 3.

those remote sockets are no good outside. they are not suitably IP rated and when plugged in you can't close the lid of your IP65 outside socket. this is similar to what i use:

Ok, I did think of that so I was going to House the ip65 socket inside a large weatherproof box for protection because I wouldn’t be able to close the lid.

I think your idea is a better option tho. Thanks

As above Quinetic Kinetic remote switches are the way to go, no battery to run out when you least expect it and the control unit is very small, just needs a waterproof box and wired to the lights, switch can be anywhere.

Looking at the quintec, I have two lighting circuits so i would need two controllers unless they supply one that can handle two separate circuits. I would also need two remotes.

the Knightsbridge remote controller is about £50 and can run 3 circuits,

Reply to Lights on garden fence in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net