Discuss loft light in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pushrod

Today i was doing some practice testing on the CU and the readings on the upstairs lighting circuit were not quite right so i investigated some of the upstairs ceiling roses. I found that one of them was mashed up quite badly probably because someone has tapped into it with an extra cable to run the loft light. Too many wires for the terminal block and then they have been enthusiastically:rolleyes: tightened so that the plastic has broken and a couple of the little brass screws broken - so loose connections plus the earths were just twisted together and not in the terminal.

Obviously going to replace the ceiling rose but would it be more correct to take the loft light off a junction box in the loft from a cable , rather than overcrowding the ceiling rose. Loft access is no problem.

Sounds like a sensible solution, dont forget JB's have to available for inspection.

Cheers. If JB is screwed to a joist above the loft insulation is that ok?

Or continue from the last cieling rose if it's accessible
hadn't thought of that, mind the cable from the loft light is already clipped in place so will probs go for the lighting cable closest to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers. If JB is screwed to a joist above the loft insulation is that ok?

Has to be accessible so that the connections can be inspected and fixed secured. Connect it in with your cable run along the joist. Its better if you can run the cable above the insulation also.

Make sure that there are no plans to board the loft, otherwise you may need to position it else where. In fact I would place it in a position that is the easiest for you to get at it.

They should make it a building control requirement to have a loft light,it never seems to be on the specs,and no one thinks about the poor old spark.It certainly makes things easier,for the inevitable "extras" such as changing pendants to downlights,wiring the coaxials,installing burglar alarm cables.I think it is also a good idea to wire this from the downstairs lighting circuit if possable,so you can work safely on the upstairs lighting circuit with it switched off.

Reply to loft light in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock