Discuss Looking for a ferrule crimping tool in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Adam_92

-
Trainee
Reaction score
I work on portable units and terminate a lot of 2.5mm and 1.5mm flex, so looking for advice on these.. the Legrand looks nice because of the ferrules on strips..

Thanks in advance Adam

Attachments

• 11192161-25EA-4D0B-8A2C-8E6CC45D4F62.png
    309.7 KB · Views: 14
  • BF96EEED-33F7-49A2-B0D9-A5449BF361E3.png
    522 KB · Views: 14
Not seen the Legrand type, but here is one prepared earlier in true Blue Peter style:

I work on portable units and terminate a lot of 2.5mm and 1.5mm flex, so looking for advice on these.. the Legrand looks nice because of the ferrules on strips..

Thanks in advanc
The ferrules on strips generally fails on cost unless you are doing production runs where you are using hundreds of the same size ferrules and the time saving can be seen in the productivity
I looked at the Phoenix Contact offering at an Elex show recently and the cost of the tool and ferrules did not make it a cost effect field tool. If you look on the Amazon site they have crimpers and kits with ferrules that are of reasonable quality and price for most uses and applications

Not seen the Legrand type, but here is one prepared earlier in true Blue Peter style:
Thanks I did see this post, but looking for advice on these two crimps

I use these, great tool, takes strips from 0.5mm to 2.5mm with a die head that rotates through each size with a quick turn.

IF YOU WANT THE ULTIMATE THEN,

the pheonix contact automatic tool is fantastic and strips, ferrules and crimps in one automated process and is battery powered.
push unprepared cable in, wait 1 second and it comes out with a ferrule on it.
wonderfull except for the £1200 cost and that is only for 1 size, if you want 2.5 and 1.5 then you have to buy one of each!!!

I use these, great tool, takes strips from 0.5mm to 2.5mm with a die head that rotates through each size with a quick turn.

IF YOU WANT THE ULTIMATE THEN,

the pheonix contact automatic tool is fantastic and strips, ferrules and crimps in one automated process and is battery powered.
push unprepared cable in, wait 1 second and it comes out with a ferrule on it.
wonderfull except for the £1200 cost and that is only for 1 size, if you want 2.5 and 1.5 then you have to buy one of each!!!

Even the manual Phoenix Contact ferrule crimper that takes different sizes of strip ferrules is expensive the guy at Elex Coventry was trying his best to sell it and I'm sure it was closing £300
At the price they are only really production tools for repetitive terminations where you can probably measure the savings made

I just use the cheapest bootlace crimper I could lay my hands on. Bootlace ferrules by their nature are going to get squished by the termination clamp or screw so I've never seen the point of spending a fortune on a crimper.

Now a ferrule crimper for wire-connecting ferrules is a different story. When it comes to those I go to great lengths to use a good crimper that's regularly calibrated and ferrules of the same brand to ensure the best results.

I just use the cheapest bootlace crimper I could lay my hands on. Bootlace ferrules by their nature are going to get squished by the termination clamp or screw so I've never seen the point of spending a fortune on a crimper.

Now a ferrule crimper for wire-connecting ferrules is a different story. When it comes to those I go to great lengths to use a good crimper that's regularly calibrated and ferrules of the same brand to ensure the best results.
Employing the same logic, I use a cheap Precivia crimper from Amazon for ferrules and Cembre crimpers for lugs.

Reply to Looking for a ferrule crimping tool in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net