Discuss looking for an interlock kit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

michmike

DIY
Reaction score
hi all,

we have a very old house which also happens to have a very old breaker box. I can't for the life of me identify the proper interlock kit for the model of the breaker box I have.

thanks for any advice.

looking for an interlock kit IMG_20190907_171808 - EletriciansForums.net

looking for an interlock kit IMG_20190910_190659 - EletriciansForums.net
[automerge]1568223862[/automerge]
I could not post all the details on the original thread, so adding it here .

my breaker seems to be a Federal Pacific one. see pics above.

the site nooutage dot com says they don't have them either for my breaker box made by federal pacific.

are my only options to go the transfer switch route, find an outdoor one like TRC1005CR from Reliance Controls, or don't backfeed the generator into the house and instead run cables to the portable AC and Fridge as and if when needed. I don't want to create my own interlock kit (which would be very easy with some sheet metal) since it would not be up to code.

hi all,

we have a very old house which also happens to have a very old breaker box. I can't for the life of me identify the proper interlock kit for the model of the breaker box I have.

thanks for any advice.

View attachment 52082

View attachment 52083
[automerge]1568223862[/automerge]
I could not post all the details on the original thread, so adding it here .

my breaker seems to be a Federal Pacific one. see pics above.

the site nooutage dot com says they don't have them either for my breaker box made by federal pacific.

are my only options to go the transfer switch route, find an outdoor one like TRC1005CR from Reliance Controls, or don't backfeed the generator into the house and instead run cables to the portable AC and Fridge as and if when needed. I don't want to create my own interlock kit (which would be very easy with some sheet metal) since it would not be up to code.
Federal pacific has been out of business for years I don’t understand what you mean by interlock kit but if you start doing your on modifications on your panel that is a big no- no. By the looks of your service it needs to be upgraded, then you can incorporate your generator to the loads you want to run

i figured that's the route i need to take. i may get a sub-panel and install the interlock kit there. an interlock kit allows you to safely/reliable switch between generator power and main power.

i figured that's the route i need to take. i may get a sub-panel and install the interlock kit there. an interlock kit allows you to safely/reliable switch between generator power and main power.
Good luck EATON- CUTLER HAMMER
We call it a transfer switch not interlock but good luck

I see now the interlock kit is what I would know as a changeover switch

Kind of but not exactly, the interlock kits in the US are basically sliding piece of metal which prevents either the main switch or the generator mcb from being switched on at the same time.
You have to turn one off and slide the interlock across before turning the other on.

Kind of but not exactly, the interlock kits in the US are basically sliding piece of metal which prevents either the main switch or the generator mcb from being switched on at the same time.
You have to turn one off and slide the interlock across before turning the other on.
Dave I even went to Generac school but I didnt know what he was talking about

I see now the interlock kit is what I would know as a changeover switch
yep, that one. thanks!
[automerge]1568326291[/automerge]
what davesparks said is accurate. interlock is just a mechanical switch that goes in your main breaker box that allows you to block both the generator backfeed and the main power to be on at the same time.
a transfer switch is an additional box that does something similar with a few caveats. it can only accomodate a limited number of breakers and it is a lot more expensive
[automerge]1568326292[/automerge]
what davesparks said is accurate. interlock is just a mechanical switch that goes in your main breaker box that allows you to block both the generator backfeed and the main power to be on at the same time.
a transfer switch is an additional box that does something similar with a few caveats. it can only accomodate a limited number of breakers and it is a lot more expensive

Reply to looking for an interlock kit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock