Discuss looking for some advice in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kingped

hi my name is Peter, and I'm at abit of a crossroads and ned some advice. I'll try not to be too longwinded but here's some background.
I'm mid 30s living in london and work as a freelance sound engineer ( ie long hours, away from home, loading sound systems on and off 40 ft lorries at 4am etc etc.)
so i thought it would be a good idea to retrain as a sparks. Last year i finished a domestic installer scheme through New Career Skills, and started off doing little bits ie minor works, non - notifiable etc whilst working in sound( main bread and butter). problem is, most of the theory i learnt means jack in the properties i've been in, and I've not been able to find anyone prepared to take me out for some experience. As the mortgage and family are supported from my sound stuff, its not been viable to get a full time sparks job as the salary drop would kill us financially. So i thought, why not ignore the domestic side and put in new, so at least having half a chance instead of chasing the DIYers spagetti.
But where does one go from here. How do i get into shop fitting etc. What qualifications do i need? What agencies could i get in touch with? what cards do i need.
The centre i(paid handsomely) to do the course through care not once you leave.
At the moment I am certified as Intermediate Domestic Installer, with 2381 and various modules under my belt - too many to mention really.
Any ideas/ thoughts. What about Olympic village?opportunities for someone like me do you think?

thanks guys

Done a bit of sound stuff myself, humped my fair share of gear on and off lorries in the rain, where are the Gallowglass when you need them. (to anyone not in touring, Gallowglass are a company that supplies profesional roadies, usually very big lads to unload trucks and shift speakers etc).

Why not look into being a theatre spark or tech, would have thought that would be more appealing than chopping in sockets and scratting around in lofts.

bless the gallows indeed. did think about it in terms of event power etc but was still hoping to get away from the madness. worth a look though. thanks for yer input, spudmiester

Reply to looking for some advice in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net