Discuss Loop wiring in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pablomorgan

My brother came round yesterday to fit two new ceiling lights.Now I have one light thats allways on and cannot be turned off and the other will not come on.He said one of the neutral wires had a bit of red tape on it that he took off.Now he has all the lives joined together.What has he done and how can I fix it.

My brother came round yesterday to fit two new ceiling lights.Now I have one light thats allways on and cannot be turned off and the other will not come on.He said one of the neutral wires had a bit of red tape on it that he took off.Now he has all the lives joined together.What has he done and how can I fix it.

hahahahahahahahaha

That 'neutral' was actually a switched phase conductor

without a test meter you will need to do what you should have done in the first place - get in someone who knows what they are doing:p:p:p

if i had a penny for every one of these i have had to sort out

I would have about 20p

bad analogy i know......but hey, at least my lights work:p

I have c & g in electronic systems and electronic wiring and can use a meter but i don't have a clue about mains electrics.What wires do I test?

do you have multimeter or voltage tester are you capable of testing for voltage safely if so please explain what you have at the light ie 2x twin and earths
or 3 x then i will try and help

a quick method of doing it,is to touch the black wires in turn with the switch turned on,the one that tingles a bit is the switched live,its not a proper live because its a switched live .so feel free to go ahead ,this method is safe and good if your not sure how to use a meter ,works every time
for more free tips .just ask
have fun

I hope you're happy with a future in jail for this. It may be tongue-in-cheek but there's nothing to suggest so, smileys etc. Take the P by all means but this post is reckless beyond words.

The original poster didn't come here to get the P taken out of him, he came here for advice given his brother has totally cacked his house. Help the man FFS, don't slaughter him.

a quick method of doing it,is to touch the black wires in turn with the switch turned on,the one that tingles a bit is the switched live,its not a proper live because its a switched live .so feel free to go ahead ,this method is safe and good if your not sure how to use a meter ,works every time
for more free tips .just ask
have fun

I hope you're happy with a future in jail for this. It may be tongue-in-cheek but there's nothing to suggest so, smileys etc. Take the P by all means but this post is reckless beyond words.

The original poster didn't come here to get the P taken out of him, he came here for advice given his brother has totally cacked his house. Help the man FFS, don't slaughter him.

Hey chill little man.if it bothers you that much pm him and tell him to get his brother to hold the wire;)

heres ca smiley just for you:)

could not agree more ccrowe i have offered help if the op is confident
he can test the circuit even then i am a bit unsure but the post above
is just down right stupid tongue in cheek or not

could not agree more ccrowe i have offered help if the op is confident
he can test the circuit even then i am a bit unsure but the post above
is just down right stupid tongue in cheek or not

Ok maybee i should have told him to keep one hand in his pocket .down right stupid would have been to tell him to hold a "red" at the same time ;)

If I was him I would slaughter his brother for making the cock up in the first place. :cool:

Little knowledge is dangerous:eek:

Thanks old dog.It's 3

I am also MCSE so I can help anyone who helps me out with anything computers.

Last edited by a moderator:

CCrowe,

Ok Rum was a bit tongue in cheek, but hey Rum is Rum, and this place wouldnt be the same without him:p

regarding this chap - you said we should help him, and I have;

I have told him to get someone who knows what they are doing

And in his own words,. he knows nothing about mains electrics.

One wonders, if you try and help him, and he ends up putting the switch accross line and neutral, which is the obvious things that could (and does) happen in these situation, I hope you will have checked that

A. He has a CPD on the circuit and
B. It is suitable

Because of course if the circuit has been botched (as it has this time) who's to say theres not a freekin nail in there??????:eek: or even off the showers 45A fuse? or straight of the incoming supply?

You see, laughing and joking aside:-

If someone wants advise on changing a ceiling rose (for example) BEFOREHAND,I will try and help - even if that help is to make them realise their own limitations and get someone in.

If someone who is qualified and experienced and needs help I will (and very often do) help them

and if someone (as they do) comes on here and says "i am on 2nd year 2330 etc etc but what the hell IS Zs", then no probs

But you will notice a distinct lack of helpfullness on here from me, and most of the regular posters, for people who by their own admission dont know, have had a go anyway, and knackered it

other than of course "GET AN ELECTRICIAN IN LIKE YOU KNOW YOU SHOULD HAVE IN THE FIRST PLACE"

Reply to Loop wiring in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock