Discuss Lost for words......... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Scary thing is is that someone did an eicr back in 2014...and didnt catch it.
The installer had stuck a nice nic eic approved sticker on it...so you know they we're clearly professional.
To be fair they couldn’t have seen that from they van as they drove by and did the eicr...

Yes why the board change? There are some very cost effective ways to resolve this that do not warrant a board change unless there are other undisclosed issues with the board or your customer is interesting in upgrading anyway.

To be fair it was gonna be a board change but it may be left as that. Will look back in tomorrow and determine it then. Other than the two lighting circuits not being covered by rcd there isn't any other reasons.

The patch is fine as long as you used some decent glue thus won't drop off, lack of rcd's only warrants non compliance note but was to regulation when installed if that is what you suspect.

I personally would leave the board as is, explain to the customer there is no reason to upgrade then explain the benefits of a modern board without pushing them into an upgrade and just say you would be happy to quote it if they ever decide to upgrade it.

I simply cannot believe any real sparks would have left the consumer unit like that with a ruddy massive hole in the bottom.

It had to be a builder installer or Diyer ....

Absolutely standard diy shed hook up.
Seen dozens just like this every year.
The best one most recently was a 10mm g/y used as the ‘washing line’ and 2.5mm red / black singles tied to it using bin bag ties to supply power to a garden work shop. Over a span of about 30metres.
The insulation on the singles was all blistered and crumbly from years of u.v abuse. When I took it down the red and black insulation just crumbled into bits

ut was to regulation when installed
When you say this do you mean that because it was ok when installed it is ok now. Eg it passed 16th edition regs and still complying with 16th,, surely then electricians would need to know what was contained within each edition and the time line for each? I don't get this surely all testing is done to the current regs??

When you say this do you mean that because it was ok when installed it is ok now. Eg it passed 16th edition regs and still complying with 16th,, surely then electricians would need to know what was contained within each edition and the time line for each? I don't get this surely all testing is done to the current regs??

Yes all testing and inspection is carried out to current regulations. However you only code non-compliances relating to safety, you don't code an item which does not comply but has no effect on the safety of the installation.
For example red and black t&e doesn't comply with current regulations but doesn't affect the safety of the installation.

For instance the 18th now states when installing trunking that u need fire clips inside...previously u didnt. Doesn't mean you now have to take it all down and start again. I code it a c3 and mark it down as 5.2 in schedule of inspection where it says cables being correctly supported in their run.

Reply to Lost for words......... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock