Discuss Lucien's most challenging picture puzzle yet... what does this box do? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucien Nunes

Mercury Arc Rectifier
Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Esteemed Member
You've seen some curious stuff in my vintage picture puzzles before but what can you make of this black box? I want to know not only what's inside but also its main electrical specifications; there are two in particular for which I need the actual figures.

There will be a few picture clues to help you along...

Box on wall.png

Pete999

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
A box holding batteries for an early F/A system

Pete999

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Come on Lucien give us 1 teeny itsy bitsy clue then

OP
Lucien Nunes

Lucien Nunes

Mercury Arc Rectifier
Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Esteemed Member
Not a transformer. Here's your first clue:

Handwheel.png

SparkyChick

Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla
Staff member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
Would it be a pressure/water head level switch sensor/switch? I'm guessing there is a pipe from the big one into the box and then the rusty small one is a vent to allow the water to rise.

OP
Lucien Nunes

Lucien Nunes

Mercury Arc Rectifier
Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Esteemed Member
The box is maybe a mile away and has no pipes connected to it, only cables.

Pete999

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Sump pump control mechanism, OR a wigwam for grinding smoke

OP
Lucien Nunes

Lucien Nunes

Mercury Arc Rectifier
Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Esteemed Member
No sumps or pumps needed here Pete. Although the clues provide information relating to the use of the box, they aren't necessarily part of its functionality.

OP
Lucien Nunes

Lucien Nunes

Mercury Arc Rectifier
Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Esteemed Member
Those robust metal stays and the strong wooden shelf do give the impression that the box contains a beefy transformer or ballast. In fact I was able to lift it off while standing on a stepladder and pass it down to someone.

DPG

Respected Member
Electrician's Arms
Looks like the lid of the box has a lid which clamps down and possibly seals so that it is airtight?

Pete999

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
No sumps or pumps needed here Pete. Although the clues provide information relating to the use of the box, they aren't necessarily part of its functionality.
I know, it's your tool box with all your best tools inside, I knew all along your just a closet tool tart. Or you have been to Oak Island and found the Templar Treasure.

Reactions: DPG

marconi

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Looking at picture in #6 one can see:

1. A view looking down to terra firma.
2. Large diameter pipe - so perhaps high volume and low pressure flow. So possibly water in it.
3. A small bore (1") vertical pipe above the larger pipe with a right angle bend into what might be a chamber. Thoughts are: an overflow?, vent?, pressure relief?, or connected to something else to sense level or pressure?
4. Midway up on the left side is what looks a bit like a copper earth electrode, so straight and regular it appears. Or is it a small bore pipe?

OP
Lucien Nunes

Lucien Nunes

Mercury Arc Rectifier
Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Esteemed Member
The thin thing is the handle of a rake, and the small pipe is a vent. These details aren't really of any importance. The presence and function of the big pipe help to set the scene and give some insight into the electrical situation that will become more apparent in the next pic. In the meantime, I have some work to do.

Pete999

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
No one else bothered to join in the fun the Lucien, best you coughup and tell us what it is.

ruston

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Is it a signalling device to release water from stored water to low level land when near critical levels are reached , and does it have an ultra violet system to kill the bacteria?

Wilko

Electrician's Arms
It looks like something Tony Soprano or Bricktop would have an interest in ... any pig farms nearby?

Pete999

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
The two metal brackets suggest the black box is heavy and the two black pads on the right might be because it is important the box's innards are kept level .
A pre metricspirit Level then?

DPG

Respected Member
Electrician's Arms
Something to do with an ornamental fountain. Definite.

Pete999

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
No one else bothered to join in the fun the Lucien, best you coughup and tell us what it is.
Not you an all?
Is it at an old waterworks?
LOL
The thin thing is the handle of a rake, and the small pipe is a vent. These details aren't really of any importance. The presence and function of the big pipe help to set the scene and give some insight into the electrical situation that will become more apparent in the next pic. In the meantime, I have some work to do.
A flow Meter of some sort?,or a Thermograph

SWD

Gender neutral
Electrician's Arms
In the toilets at Bush Green they used to have Goldfish in the toilet cisterns years back, useless info i know but what the hell.........

SparkyChick

Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla
Staff member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
the electrical situation that will become more apparent in the next pic. In the meantime, I have some work to do.
TEASE!

I was hoping by the time I'd been out and done the shopping they'd be more pics :(

darkwood

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I reckon that is a pipe for expelling in quick time a hazard from the building, the box is monitoring the possible hazard and act as an warning system.... or something along those lines, it may be sampling the toxicity of the air because of a chemical used and in an emergency you open the pipe.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I reckon that is a pipe for expelling in quick time a hazard from the building, the box is monitoring the possible hazard and act as an warning system.... or something along those lines, it may be sampling the toxicity of the air because of a chemical used and in an emergency you open the pipe.
it's a Fart Alert System then?

OP
Lucien Nunes

Lucien Nunes

Mercury Arc Rectifier
Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Esteemed Member
Look, the box doesn't ontrol the pipe and the pipe doesn't control the box, OK? I'll put another pic up tonight...

darkwood

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Never said it did just said it was a warning so expect a manual action ... but guessing I'm wrong from that comment :(

Baker1988

Electrician's Arms
Is it just a empty plastic box? I had one just like this on a site where trunking was being installed the lads i worked with basically went around the box with the trunking from one side up over the top and back down like a arch and carryed on and when i went to look at it i pointed out it was empty and they should of just took the box away and gone straight haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.