Discuss Lucien's most challenging picture puzzle yet... what does this box do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Here you are then. Lot of pressure last night, didn't finish work until 1am and just collapsed into bed, I'd been going since 5am on 3 hours sleep the night before.

As before, the sockets aren't part of the function of the box, but they tell you about the circumstances in which it was used. I've no idea about the discolouration on the 15A, you can ignore that.

The box is neither empty nor airtight; there are catches to hold the hinged lid shut - I don't know why, screws would have been adequate. Although the box is original to the purpose and still has a data plate on the top, the equipment inside might have been replaced at some time during its life. I don't know how similar the present equipment is to the original, but it is exactly what I expected to find in there.

Sockets.png

...tell you about the circumstances...

1. An old electrical installation.
2. Maybe a requirement to separate or switch the supply to equipments using plug pin shape.
3. 15A - so a possibly a large current load - 3kW heater?
4. Maybe supply kVA is limited so socket type is used to supply sheddable and non-sheddable loads? Or regulated non-regulated voltage supplies?
5. 240V installation line to neutral.
6. Earthed system.

A lot of thought goes into these things. I've been agonising for hours on whether to show the sockets next or something else. And the picture edits... so well done it's almost art. Look at that first pic for example. Why is it framed exactly the way it is?

1 - yes, originally, but well maintained and strategically updated.
2 - yes.
3 - not necessarily but in this case yes.
4 - no.
5 - yes.

Work is getting busy now so might be away for a bit.

Now we're getting somewhere. I need the correct name for the device in the box, and the specifications of its output. There is another one in the house but this one is different in a specific way. To know why it is different, you need to identify what else is in that first picture.

Hmmm... some kind of change over unit maybe a contactor array to swap supplies from socket a to socket b or simply energise socket b.
Is their a sensor possibly looking at humidity or temp' , maybe it kicks in power to the other socket which has a dehumidifier plugged in or a frost stat that brings on a heater to counter frozen pipes issues?

Transformer was ruled out in post #6. Box does not control those MK sockets on the wall. There are however two different sockets on the box, one of which a kind of sensor was plugged into. If we get really stuck I'll show a close-up of them. In the meantime here's another pic to nip the transformer idea in the bud. This data plate is not the one on the box but it makes a clear case for the need to use it. Once this is sorted, we can return to why the unit inside is a special version.

Data plate.png

Transformer was ruled out in post #6. Box does not control those MK sockets on the wall. There are however two different sockets on the box, one of which a kind of sensor was plugged into. If we get really stuck I'll show a close-up of them. In the meantime here's another pic to nip the transformer idea in the bud. This data plate is not the one on the box but it makes a clear case for the need to use it. Once this is sorted, we can return to why the unit inside is a special version.

View attachment 41962
A Voltage Regulator , rotary frequency changer

Pete got there first, I was just about to post the same.. Voltage regulator but brings up the question of a sensor and why the need for one, so I would 2nd guess and say it its a frequency inverter of some nature to change a motor/pump speed

Some good buzzwords in there and some of the right concepts, just need to shuffle them around a bit. I do need the proper name for the unit. The sensor is connected to the box so that the unit inside doesn't operate when it's not needed.

There's some crucial info on that plate. It's a mile or so from the valve and maybe half a mile from the box too. Why the two sockets in a bedroom? What does the other unit-like-this-one-but-different do? Why can't it also serve the purpose of this one?

Instead of giving picture clues, I could mention something about two contracts in Japan, I could show you the ten-pin flasher unit in our pickup truck, or a hole that Gatti dug in London. But the info is there in the first pic. Well, the important bit is out of shot - in fact it's missing entirely. I could show you the hole it was mounted through, I suppose.

Ah wait ... is this anything to do with ice which was originally stored underground ?
Are we looking at some kind of cold room where the box is acting to cool the air temp with the use of very cold water like an early air conditioning unit?

In the first image, the polished metal hinges on the brown cupboard doors and the shape/thickness of the doors remind me of those on the doors of the freezers/cold rooms at the butcher's shop I worked in as a teenager. Gatti was famous for ice production and underground storage of it.

The 10 pin flasher in your old pick up has a bi-metalic hysteresis arm switch, and the strip is warmed by the current of the load.

Why two sockets? In winter the round pin supplies a heater powered by a local hydro electric scheme. In summer the hydro electricity is used to run fans and refrigeration plant to make ice (and blow chilled air tocool the house?) So the box is connected to a differential thermometer ( -the reference to the flasher) sensing the difference between indoor and outdoor ambient temperatures to decide whether to heat the house or cool the house.

Last edited:
The heaters can be run at whatever voltage the hydro electric scheme provides. However the motorised refridgeration and fans require a minimum voltage and frequency to start-up and run - so perhaps the box contains some control logic/functionality to determine when the hydro supply is suitable - operating as a low-voltage and low frequency detector and cut off - and some feedback to the turbine throttle to open up/close down water flow to regulate coarsely supplied V and f.

Reply to Lucien's most challenging picture puzzle yet... what does this box do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net