Discuss Made me jump! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Looks like a board someone got surplus or second hand, repurposed for domestic use. Except likely some of these circuits won't comply, e.g. sockets on a D32 MCB. Quite apart from the dangerous large holes with what looks like exposed live copper.

Dot&dab would make sense and only makes sense they mounted their bracket in the void as they were aware of the cable runs.

I believe I reset the tripped device after the first trigger (as I incorrectly assumed the new microwave had set it off again). On the plus side, hopefully means I've only drilled into one circuit.

The CU has definitely rung enough alarm bells for me to now seriously consider a full house rewire. Its a very similar system to the plumbing where they have added to it over the years, not removing anything redundant i.e every room is a whole mess of things that do and don't work. The joys of home ownership.

i can highly recommend an ex-member used to be on here. he's NICEIC approved contractor, not a short course DI. (althoughsome of them are competent). he lives in Leeds.

Is there anything to say that’s a safe zone? In line vertically with socket or anything? Even on other side of the wall?
Walls are over 2 foot thick (Henry Hoover for reference!) as this is the old house exterior to extension wall and no sockets on other side. Adding additional photo for wall context. What I struggle to understand is given this is all "new" cabling ie fixed to exterior of original house when extension was put in, why would so many cables be routed here when the consumer unit is on the other side of the house and from what I can tell these cables don't even supply any of the sockets immediately to the right (but I will be doing more chiselling to find out)

20210614_140603.jpg20210614_140623.jpg

Yeah it's bad cable routing that.

As you say, not sure why there are so many cables on that particular route.
Extension completed in 2010, wouldn't regs then have required a protective conduit in this scenario? Either way, no space for a MF wagobox so I'm going to have to crimp/solder and insulate then plaster over

Have excavated around sockets to see what's what and we'll, fair to say that vertical/horizontal routes took second fiddle to the magic of diagonal ???View attachment 86702
To be fair, the slight diagonal of those cables is not really an issue, as they are still within the prescribed zones above the accessories.

Will start tracing back each socket to the relevant RCD using my loopcheck and RCD check function (ie trips it). Out of curiosity, tried it on the TV socket and only the RCCB on the end tripped, not the single circuit RCDs (including the one labelled for the relevant socket). That's not normal is it?20210614_174526.jpg20210614_174401.jpg

Reply to Made me jump! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net