Discuss Made me jump! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Good eyes. It has just about but not penetrated inner sheath. Is that good to leave or is there anything I can do aside from cut out and repair?
View attachment 86768

Note, I've put my tin hat on.

I'd wrap a couple of layers of tape around it neatly. That's assuming the damage has definitely not gone right through the outer sheathing.

Note, I've put my tin hat on.

I'd wrap a couple of layers of tape around it neatly. That's assuming the damage has definitely not gone right through the outer sheathing.
Tis what I'm thinking and tin hat is right ? is there anything I should mark on the tape to let a future electrician know why it's been taped or just not the done thing?

I would skin up a 150mm length of the outer sheath of a 16mm swa cable and fix that over it.

But I'm no electrician so could be speaking out of my backside ?

If there is enough slack in the cable I would be tempted to do the same as you have to the others, but that's me, belt and braces.

I knew you'd go that way Mike. Be interesting to see what the general consensus is.

I accept my way is technically a bodge, but I think it's acceptable. Again, with my tin hat on. It avoids several joints which are potential failure points.

all tapes are grey in the dark.

Thank you all. I will go the tape route, acknowledging it's not the ideal treatment but one as the property owner am happy with but also know that no-one is drilling into that wall for the next 50 years as I plan to die in this house :)

To complete the loop, the TV is now mounted on the wall and all working fine. I've completed the coax routing check around the house with the aid of a great little (and cheap) device from Klein tools (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076DP1534/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Next on the to do list is to check all the CAT5/6 terminals although I've already come across helpful labelling such as "does not work" :) :)

Oh...and my wall scanner arrived so hopefully no more crimping (famous last words)

Right...so I've got a cable route which has some coax, ethernet and these two random white cables with brown and blue wires terminated in a chocbox.

For life of me can't figure out why they were routed there or what they do. Anyone have a guess where they may be routed near a TV location? Hopefully can use that information to figure out where they end up as haven't found the other side yet!

Made me jump! 20210623_124922 - EletriciansForums.netMade me jump! 20210623_124903 - EletriciansForums.net

I assume the two co-axial cables are from a dual LNB from a satellite dish to allow signal to a receiver box and allow one programme to be recoded whilst watching a different programme, can't help on the two white cables, perhaps low power cables? have you checked if power is supplied to them?

Don’t like that they used the same coloured core flex as mains voltage cables.
Test it for voltage before connecting your big expensive speakers!
Totally agree which is what confused me the fact it was coloured live and neutral wires. Tested it already and no voltage, helpfully even labelled with a yellow tape on one so I know L and R speaker locations ...small victories

Reply to Made me jump! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock