Discuss Made me jump! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The wring that originally went with those insulators on the wall bracket would have needed an earth wire exactly like the one in your pic.
I removed the last traces of ours when I re roofed and upgraded the porch last summer.
The earth wire would have gone into a rectangular Bakelite box mounted where your BT master is now.
Good knowledge. Thank you!

Fine bit of Yorkshire stone. In the centre of the glass is a painting of the view from the house when it was built in 1906, don't see that kind of detail these days!

Nice!

Any recommendations for a slow to start pendant? Roughly 1 second delay between flicking switch and bulb illuminating.

Thus far have tried:
1) changed the light fitting to a basic one bulb MK pendant set for testing purposes
2) changed the light switch
3) changed the wiring from switch to light

For reference it's wired at the switch with a separate neutral loop going from pendant to pendant and a live & earth loop going from switch to switch. Pendants in adjacent room illuminate instantly.

What sort of lamp?

If you swap the bulbs around, does the “slow” one alway be in that room, or does it move to the one you swapped?
You've inadvertently solved it in a way (plus I'm an idiot).

I wasn't doing a fair test. When I've turned them all on from cold, they were all slow to start. Previously I was flicking the "working" ones on/off from a prior on position. Suspect they are cheap LED bulbsMade me jump! 20210730_102338 - EletriciansForums.net

You've inadvertently solved it in a way (plus I'm an idiot).

I wasn't doing a fair test. When I've turned them all on from cold, they were all slow to start. Previously I was flicking the "working" ones on/off from a prior on position. Suspect they are cheap LED bulbsView attachment 88122

Sometimes it's the simplest things!

When I've turned them all on from cold, they were all slow to start. Previously I was flicking the "working" ones on/off from a prior on position. Suspect they are cheap LED bulbs
That sounds more like CFL than LED (due to the the "warm" bit). Probably worth investing in a new set of decent LED lamps to fit them, though different brand LEDs can show a slight difference in switch-on times they are usually in the small fractional second region.

When looking for LED bulbs decide if you want the warm or cool light, I usually would suggest warm unless you have them for work areas, etc.

made in PRC, says it all, cheap chinese tat.

That sounds more like CFL than LED (due to the the "warm" bit). Probably worth investing in a new set of decent LED lamps to fit them, though different brand LEDs can show a slight difference in switch-on times they are usually in the small fractional second region.

When looking for LED bulbs decide if you want the warm or cool light, I usually would suggest warm unless you have them for work areas, etc.
It's definitely on the to do list. I'm currently just using what's in the house and focusing on the first fix. Second fix will be quality parts, mostly Philips Hue bulbs which actually brings me onto a question:

I've had great experience using these bulbs with a normal 1-way switch and dimming via the app. Was wondering how smart these bulbs are with a dimmable switch i.e. if the switch is on 10% power, is there any awareness on the bulb and thus the app so that you don't under or over dim via the app additionally?

If these are CFLs and you bought them as LED, then you have been well and truly done.
These will use twice as much electricity for a given amount of light output than a LED lamp.

It's definitely on the to do list. I'm currently just using what's in the house and focusing on the first fix. Second fix will be quality parts, mostly Philips Hue bulbs which actually brings me onto a question:

I've had great experience using these bulbs with a normal 1-way switch and dimming via the app. Was wondering how smart these bulbs are with a dimmable switch i.e. if the switch is on 10% power, is there any awareness on the bulb and thus the app so that you don't under or over dim via the app additionally?
Hue bulbs need 230v to operate, so you can’t use a dimming switch with them.
Saying that, they might operate within a range of voltage, ie 100-230…. But I wouldn’t advise it.

Hue bulbs need 230v to operate, so you can’t use a dimming switch with them.
Saying that, they might operate within a range of voltage, ie 100-230…. But I wouldn’t advise it.
Had a feeling it wouldn't be easy. That coupled with the issues finding GU10 cages that fit the hue bulbs I think I'll have to drop that bulb idea as would prefer hard wired dimmers than relying on an app

You could use the Phillips Hue smart button which is wireless, and can be used to dim Hue bulbs.

Reply to Made me jump! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock