Discuss Made me jump! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Out of curiosity, tried it on the TV socket and only the RCCB on the end tripped, not the single circuit RCDs (including the one labelled for the relevant socket). That's not normal is it?
That is normal. On your setup the 2 RCCB's are detecting "electricity going the wrong way". The other breakers in the middle are detecting "too much electricity flowing (overcurrent protection)". Your gadget is testing the RCCB, not the overcurrent protection.
(You also have an RCBO for smoke alarms that does both functions but that is the exception on your consumer unit)

That is normal. On your setup the 2 RCCB's are detecting "electricity going the wrong way". The other breakers in the middle are detecting "too much electricity flowing (overcurrent protection)". Your gadget is testing the RCCB, not the overcurrent protection.
(You also have an RCBO for smoke alarms that does both functions but that is the exception on your consumer unit)
Ah ok, good info thank you. Is there a DIY friendly gadget that can trigger overcurrent protection?

Ah ok, good info thank you. Is there a DIY friendly gadget that can trigger overcurrent protection?
There isn't even a professional friendly gadget to test them - If there wasn't an RCD in your case then the screw through them might have tested if if you'd nicked Live to Earth - For various reasons that's not a recommended test method though!

MCBs are generally considered to work (and mostly do as they are old well tested technology) - and the only testing ever needed on them is to ensure that they isolate the circuit when switched off.

Not really. You just have to trust that say a 32A trips at approx 32, and not way over 40.

without taking the cover off the board, I would assume that the rcbo for the smokes is directly off the mainswitch, not through either rcd.
The left hand rcd looks to me to control the 6 MCBs on the left, and the right hand rcd does the other 6.

It’s not clearly labelled as such, and maybe should be.

There should also be blanks inserted in spare mcb positions to stop anything being inserted.

Thank you both. I was approaching it from the angle of properly mapping each socket to its respective MCB. For example I know in one upstairs bedroom, 2 sockets are on one circuit and 1 socket is on another so was thinking it would be useful to create a file that documents what each relates to but maybe that's just me being unnecessarily ----! ?? Just thinking down the line it would be useful to know that I can turn off just one MCB to work on a particular circuit rather than the whole board but I guess it doesn't really matter

Looking carefully at your photograph, I can now SEE the live busbar inside between the mcb’s.

is it a Lewden branded consumer unit or lewden breakers in another board? They just don’t look like they fit properly.

The stickers that came with the consumer unit in the first place would have the appropriate labels to say which MCBs were controlled by each rcd (colour coded labels or whatever)

Will start tracing back each socket to the relevant RCD using my loopcheck and RCD check function (ie trips it). Out of curiosity, tried it on the TV socket and only the RCCB on the end tripped, not the single circuit RCDs (including the one labelled for the relevant socket). That's not normal is it?View attachment 86712View attachment 86713
They are some fine and expensive tools for someone who isn't an electrician. Very shiny looking too

They are some fine and expensive tools for someone who isn't an electrician. Very shiny looking too
Better tools and certainly cleaner tools than Most sparks that I know , i have a bucket with some old drivers , a pair of ck snips and my old Stanley fat max pliers

Looking carefully at your photograph, I can now SEE the live busbar inside between the mcb’s.

is it a Lewden branded consumer unit or lewden breakers in another board? They just don’t look like they fit properly.

The stickers that came with the consumer unit in the first place would have the appropriate labels to say which MCBs were controlled by each rcd (colour coded labels or whatever)
I'm not up to speed with my corporate logos, there is no name visible but this logo on the CU coverMade me jump! 20210615_082821 - EletriciansForums.net

Re the tools, it's a relatively recent "upgrade" over the past 3 years replacing previous stuff that's done me well for over 15 yes.

My Fat Max wire cutter strips the outer sheath off a 2.5mm twin and earth better than any of my knipex tools but overall happy with the kit, very well made. I'd say I've been most impressed transitioning to the Wera screwdrivers (both electrical and standard), didn't think I would be with such a "basic" tool.

The board is Lewden as well, so breakers and board are matching. Just looks like they don’t fit very well.
Suspect a case of not fitted well ie more user than product error ?? I continue to find shockers. Found the coax collection point with two random T&E open terminated into one half of a choc box (ie stick anything in the other side and bam!). By the sheer number of fused spurs this is definitely a property that has had its electrics added to over the years as opposed to a full rewire.

For completeness for anyone that pulls up this thread years to come. Have completed the fix. If it was in any other location I would have preferred to rerun a whole new cable but with the existing wires clipped to the outside of the original property and no obvious channel to use, I had to settle for crimping, heat wrap and tape (tucked in temporarily for now)
Made me jump! 20210615_195342 - EletriciansForums.netMade me jump! 20210615_204318 - EletriciansForums.net

( tricky I would be tempted to leave - a note of location of repair for if any future readings are a bit off )
Gives you an clue of an area to thump to see if anything missbehaves.!
I have been guilty of putting a note inside a coax junction box before now, whether any one ever see's it or not I don't know, or a sticky label on a hidden socket behind the TV may work.

Reply to Made me jump! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock