Discuss Main Bonding issue. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

wcampbell

Hi all.

I 'm getting 1.58ohms continuity on this main 10mm Earth bonding to water. The bond continues up to the flat upstairs and who ever did the work threw in 12" length of 4mm earth for good measure. Am I missing something or is this a case of new E Bond. Fitted a new clamp but did little to reduce the figures.

Any thoughts please.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Main Bonding issue. 001 - EletriciansForums.net
    001.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited by a moderator:
I think you have answered your own question in that the figure is too high and if it was 10 mm cable you would be looking at a lenth of 863meters.

You have already found a bodge job with the 4mm so IMO put it right by installing a new cable.

Hi all.

I 'm getting 1.58ohms continuity on this main 10mm Earth bonding to water. The bond continues up to the flat upstairs and who ever did the work threw in 12" length of 4mm earth for good measure. Am I missing something or is this a case of new E Bond. Fitted a new clamp but did little to reduce the figures.

Any thoughts please.

Thanks.

What a mess, hope that's the before picture!
Put in new separate 10mil bonds from where the water enters each flat to the respective METs.
Scrub the pipes to shinyness before fitting the clamp then test from the pipe to MET, what I was taught.
And use ring crimps.

Hi all.

Any thoughts please.

Thanks.

Disconnect this cable to the upstairs flat, it should not be leaving your equipotential zone or be influenced/connected to/by another equipotential zone. As others have suggested, if required replace the bonding conductor back to the MET.

Just to be certain, why not check this water service, to see if it is an extraneous earth!!! might just be a section in plastic somewhere...lol!!!

Disconnect this cable to the upstairs flat, it should not be leaving your equipotential zone or be influenced/connected to/by another equipotential zone. As others have suggested, if required replace the bonding conductor back to the MET.

Just to be certain, why not check this water service, to see if it is an extraneous earth!!! might just be a section in plastic somewhere...lol!!!

Not sure if this comment helps but looking at the photo, it looks like the mains water supply is plastic.

Thanks all.

The pipe work is all metal apart from main incomer. Will replace main bond this coming week.

Then you need to do an IR test from the MET to the metal side of the water service pipe. If it's under 23000 Ohms (23 KOhms) it requires bonding, if over, then it's not an extraneous earth, and no bonding is required. But you'll still need to isolate/remove that bonding cable that is going to, or coming from the flat above....

Reply to Main Bonding issue. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock