Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Main bonding to do or not to do in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Having to re cable the lighting in a metal portacabin,the cabin is placed in a workshop,would you main bond it,doubts due to new 18 th edition,on the requirements of main bonding.
The cabin is not an extraneous conductive part,& will be earthed fortuitously by the lighting equipment.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Having to re cable the lighting in a metal portacabin,the cabin is placed in a workshop,would you main bond it,doubts due to new 18 th edition,on the requirements of main bonding.
The cabin is not an extraneous conductive part,& will be earthed fortuitously by the lighting equipment.
What with a Crabby 1mm2 cpc, cosmic

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea,don’t seem right does it,before the 18th,definite main bond with appropriate cable.

The requirements as to whether the cabin needs bonding are no different from the 17th Ed to the 18th Ed. Nothing has changed.

Im looking @ it,with these new regs,on bonding,it states that if it’s a plastic insert,on incoming pipes,then no bonding required.
This includes all other pipework that is relevant to that system,it does not need bonding.
With that in mind,the Cabin isn’t extraneous & so does not require main bonding,but earthed locally by cpc of the equipment inside.

Ian1981

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I doubt it requires protective bonding unless the cabin has its foundations anchored or bolted through the flooring membrane and in good contact with the general mass of earth below.

Would it be a massive job to bond it like?
No not really,I think I’ll bond it,like we used to.

Ian1981

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
No not really,I think I’ll bond it,like we used to.
Why bond it if you’ve said it’s not extraneous??

Ian1981

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
If it's not too much of a run? Being in a workshop I would imagine there is a DB nearby I would 007 it.
It needs to be connected to the MET and not to just any old DB close by unless said DB has a cpc that would support protective bonding and connects back to the MET

Yes I stand corrected I shouldnt have said that, it is meant to be an unbroken run from met.

It can’t be an extraneous conductive part,cause it’s inside the building.
Why bond it when there’s no need to bond metal pipes in situ,if they have a plastic insert @ entry to that building .

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Why bond it if you’ve said it’s not extraneous??
Agrre but what tests have been done to prove it's not extraneous?

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
It can’t be an extraneous conductive part,cause it’s inside the building.
Why bond it when there’s no need to bond metal pipes in situ,if they have a plastic insert @ entry to that building .
You could say that about any metalwork within the building that may or may not be classed as extraneous.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
We’ll need 3 dozen buckets of popcorn and around 7 tin hats - STAT!
Nah just the remains of the Cote Du Rhone will do for me Rpa07, happy as Larry.

D

Deleted member 9648

If it's extraneous bond it, if it's not don't. End of.

If it's extraneous bond it, if it's not don't. End of.
Cheers,Oh I say !!,

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Yes I stand corrected I shouldnt have said that, it is meant to be an unbroken run from met.
No need for an unbroken run, the regs don't require this. It just has to be at least the minimum required size from MET through to bonding connection.

T

Toneyz

When you say portacabin is this just a shell container or a lined out one as you see as site offices, canteens etc?

T

Toneyz

When you say portacabin is this just a shell container or a lined out one as you see as site offices, canteens etc?
Why the optimistic Pete? the reason I asked was that if it was a kitted out unit with an existing consumer unit the metal container shell is bonded to the consumer unit.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Why the optimistic Pete? the reason I asked was that if it was a kitted out unit with an existing consumer unit the metal container shell is bonded to the consumer unit.
Just optimistic that the OP was aware of what you were saying nothing against you Mate

D

Deleted member 26818

We are required to bond extraneous-conductive-parts which are likely to introduce a potential.
If the port a cabin is extraneous, conductive and likely to introduce a potential, then bond it.
If it isn’t any one of the 3, then don’t bond it.

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Reply to Main bonding to do or not to do in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
Top Bottom