Discuss Main bonding to water in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Ges123

I have a query regarding main bonding to water. If the stop cock is under a wooden floor and not accessible is this to be noted on the test sheet as LIM and advise this is done.
Also when quoting for works and the water main is not bonded, can we carry out other works if the client does not want the water to be bonded?

thanks

I have a query regarding main bonding to water. If the stop cock is under a wooden floor and not accessible is this to be noted on the test sheet as LIM and advise this is done.
Also when quoting for works and the water main is not bonded, can we carry out other works if the client does not want the water to be bonded?

thanks

Noted on what test sheet as lim ? Are you talking EICR or another document ?
Reg 132.16 does not make any exceptions for customers wishes nor firmness of wallet.

Noted on what test sheet as lim ? Are you talking EICR or another document ?
Reg 132.16 does not make any exceptions for customers wishes nor firmness of wallet.
I appreciate that, yes a EICR .
What I'm asking is are we permitted to carry out works if the water is not bonded even though it's been advised to be.
thanks

If the water pipe needs bonding then it is a safety issue if ignored. The regs state the requirements for the main bonding connection. If it does require bonding and the client refuses to have it done, then I would recommend you walk away. Its not worth the responsibility of ignoring the regulations.

I appreciate that, yes a EICR .
What I'm asking is are we permitted to carry out works if the water is not bonded even though it's been advised to be.
thanks

Like I said, reg 132.16 is a requirement and not a recommendation.

Last edited:
If it is impossible to get to the stopcock/point of entry then the connection should be made as near as practical to the point of entry of the service in the premises (544.1.2).

And of course you need to bond extraneous conductive parts otherwise how are you going to achieve the general requirements of automatic disconnection of supply? If the customer isn't willing to have it done then you walk away....Just to add you also cant record a limitation on an EIC.

Lee's post # 7 answers everything needed.

Just another point. what good is a concealed inaccessible stopcock.
I'm sure the Insurance company would love that in the event of a claim.

thanks

On an EICR it is clearly not a limitation, it is an observation which should be coded accordingly depending on the exact circumstances.

What are the other works? For an emergency job, urgent repair, repair due to damage/distress then yes it is justifiable to do so without installing the main bonding.
Any alteration or addition above and beyond such an essential repair would require that the bonding be done.

Very good point.
I had this in one place where the owner had built a bench seat over it. Fortunately they saw the light and permitted me and my multi saw to modify the seat and fit an access plate so
both bonding and tap could be accessed. As it turns out bonding was fine :) .

If it is impossible to get to the stopcock/point of entry then the connection should be made as near as practical to the point of entry of the service in the premises (544.1.2).

And of course you need to bond extraneous conductive parts otherwise how are you going to achieve the general requirements of automatic disconnection of supply? If the customer isn't willing to have it done then you walk away....Just to add you also cant record a limitation on an EIC.

Like.......

Reply to Main bonding to water in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net