Discuss Main breaker in the main lug only subpanel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

RK1984

DIY
Reaction score
I am building a duplex. The service enters the house through the wall of one of the units, where the main panels for both units are located. Then the service lines go inside the walls to the garages of both units, where subpanels with all the breakers are located. At this point the subpanels and the service lines are installed, and the drywall is installed as well.

Now, the electrician who did all this work has disappeared, and the new electricians that come to look at the job are giving me conflicting information:

The previous electrician installed main lug only subpanels (eaton chp42l225x6) for both units, and told me it was ok.

One of the electricians that came told me that the unit which has no access to the main panel will need an accessible main breaker by the code, and that he can install it in the main lug subpanel.

Another electrician that came after him, told me that it is not possible to install a main breaker in the main lug only subpanel, and that so the whole panel needs to be replaced.

I wonder which one of them is correct?

I am building a duplex. The service enters the house through the wall of one of the units, where the main panels for both units are located. Then the service lines go inside the walls to the garages of both units, where subpanels with all the breakers are located. At this point the subpanels and the service lines are installed, and the drywall is installed as well.

Now, the electrician who did all this work has disappeared, and the new electricians that come to look at the job are giving me conflicting information:

The previous electrician installed main lug only subpanels (eaton chp42l225x6) for both units, and told me it was ok.

One of the electricians that came told me that the unit which has no access to the main panel will need an accessible main breaker by the code, and that he can install it in the main lug subpanel.

Another electrician that came after him, told me that it is not possible to install a main breaker in the main lug only subpanel, and that so the whole panel needs to be replaced.

I wonder which one of them is correct?
My suggestion to you is hire an electrician to install a 200 amp outdoor panel with a main breaker outside where your meter is installed. Then you can add two 100 amp breakers to allow you to kill power going to your 2 panels. By code you need a disconnect outside so if your home catches on fire the fire department can turn off your main breaker instead of pulling your meter. Main lug only panels still have to have a disconnect somewhere up stream in another panel. Good luck

Reply to Main breaker in the main lug only subpanel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net