Discuss Make your mind up! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

imago

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
The house I'm working on at the minute has the ground floor lighting wired with switched lives. The live at the hall/landing switch then feeds up into the loft and the first floor is wired loop-in. The front half of the house has the floor joists running side to side across the house, in the back half of the house they run front to back. P****d me right off trying to run cables.

Must be a substantial load bearing wall going across the middle of the house to have that arrangement. Pretty common on the older 3 story houses/buildings....

It's a two storey three bed semi, with nothing particularly unsual in design or layout other than those I mentioned. I've seen them mixed on three or four story houses where they run east - west on the first floor, north - south on the second etc.

The load bearing wall is just 3" brick on the ground floor with a couple of doorways in it which have concrete lintels. All the first floor internal walls are lath and plaster. I found a pre-war Player's cigarette packet in one of them.

Just one of those oddities that keep you on your toes I guess. It'd be boring if they were all the same.

Reply to Make your mind up! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock