Discuss Makita insulated tools in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hahah i'll bring my 12v kettle so I can make a brew in the van just in case I really f*** things up!

Thanks for all the tips.. I couldn't even find that Makita insulated tool kit on their own website! So I guess it probably isn't up to the same standards as their powertools.

i am deeply honoured and pleased to help. When you get these delivered, you will NOT be disappointed! I am extremely pleased to hear of your success to the dedication you have shown to gaining experience and employment. I wish you all the luck in the world. Don't try to get ahead of yourself, it takes years to learn even just the basics. What field are you in, domestic, commercial, bit of everything?

I remember the first time I was stood in front of a 3 gang switch and a guy came in and said, ' f me, what a mess!, this is how you do it..first start by separating all the earths....'

He wasn't taking the p, or trying to belittle me, just showing the best way. I've listened to everything he had to say, and then I went on to terminating panel boards and swapping best practice with him for years. I've moved on, but still in regular contact with him. We are both tool junkeys which helps.

Point I'm trying to make here is that this is the start of a long but potentially rewarding journey for you, and taking pleasure from your tools and with your dedication to quality, the satisfaction of a job well done is something that is so rewarding that it helps you sleep well at night picturing that install you have completed with your own hands with your own tools.

I truly hope you get to complete your training, and please keep on here and become a regular poster.

Regards.
:puke:

I was given a Makita set like that by a sales rep afew years back......totaly useless, screwdrivers broke far to easily, multibit driver fell apart and even the drillbits/woodbits didn't stay sharp for long.

You've done the right thing staying well clear of it....the bag thing did make a handy pencil case for one of my boys though for school tbh.

what the hell are you doing with a carpet fitters bolster?
. don't we all refit the carpets after having the floors up? anyway, it wasa the 1st pic . i found on tinternet.

I've got the Makita kit, and it's fine for the purpose IMHO. I bought it so that I'd have a few tools which are easily packed and transported on the quote bike in the top box. I can ride out to quote on a job and take that and the Fluke for basic checks and the odd quick fix. It means that I can leave all my 'real' kit in the van and not have to keep transferring stuff.

Horses for courses, and in the main you get what you pay for with tools.

i am deeply honoured and pleased to help. When you get these delivered, you will NOT be disappointed! I am extremely pleased to hear of your success to the dedication you have shown to gaining experience and employment. I wish you all the luck in the world. Don't try to get ahead of yourself, it takes years to learn even just the basics. What field are you in, domestic, commercial, bit of everything?

I remember the first time I was stood in front of a 3 gang switch and a guy came in and said, ' f me, what a mess!, this is how you do it..first start by separating all the earths....'

He wasn't taking the p, or trying to belittle me, just showing the best way. I've listened to everything he had to say, and then I went on to terminating panel boards and swapping best practice with him for years. I've moved on, but still in regular contact with him. We are both tool junkeys which helps.

Point I'm trying to make here is that this is the start of a long but potentially rewarding journey for you, and taking pleasure from your tools and with your dedication to quality, the satisfaction of a job well done is something that is so rewarding that it helps you sleep well at night picturing that install you have completed with your own hands with your own tools.

I truly hope you get to complete your training, and please keep on here and become a regular poster.

Regards.

Cheers!

The only thing i'm worried about with the full diploma is the maths side of things, I got a C at gcse but that was years ago and my algebra isn't that great... better at trigonometry though.
Does anyone have any advice on how in depth it goes in that field? :dunce2::dunce2:

the maths ain't all that hard these days. just by pressing a few keys on my super dooper scientific calculator, i can do the adiabatic calculations without using beer mats. progress, EH?

Knipex High Leverage Diagonal Cutters Comfort Grip 74 02 160
WIHA 16 Piece VDE SlimVario Pz/Ph/Slot Screwdriver Set | eBay

Okay, maybe a little pricey, but the BEST, and you'll never regret it. Just watch the prying eyes! That Wiha set is just the nuts! or these,

Wera Kraftform Kompakt 18 Piece VDE Screwdriver Set NEW | eBay

I went for the Wiha set as they were slim and went into the RCBOs I was doing at the time.

The stanley stuff is good too, but don't get to sidetracked with these 'electricians sets' in my opinion. As others have said, buy what you need, and buy good, but a few good tools will see you through a lot as a trainee.

In my opinion, you will need a battery drill and bit holder at some point, way before you'll need needle nose pliers in that other kit.

Crappy tapes measures are also another false economy. But a decent metal stanley one, 5 or 8 metres with a good standout and you'll be sorted.

Hope this helps, but also read this in the light of others comments.

Cheers.

you sod, you just cost me £42. i just ordered the wiha set you posted the link to. :angry_smile:

Cheers!

The only thing i'm worried about with the full diploma is the maths side of things, I got a C at gcse but that was years ago and my algebra isn't that great... better at trigonometry though.
Does anyone have any advice on how in depth it goes in that field? :dunce2::dunce2:
I think I got a D in maths but it hasn't stopped me. All the calculations and more you'll ever need are in the BGB, I have the most common used one's copied into the front of my OSG with a couple of examples for quick reference. Also got a cheap scientific calculator from Asda for a couple of quid as it lists the formula as you enter it and is easier to check.

Just remember Zs=Ze+(R1+R2)... :lol:

Volt drop is not as complicated as it looks, just remember to extract the correct information for each cable type etc and you won't go far wrong.

And never forget Ohms law, it's the LAW!!!

most calculations, when you break them down, are really quite simple .... add, takeaway, times, and oh shot, what's the last one.... into/over/summat. and there was another thing. square root. never seen anything with a square root. parsnips are round and long, beetroot are round and short. potatoes are funny shapes but never square, never seen cannabis roots, only leaves.

S=sqrt(Ia²t)/k ... Is that the vegetable you're thinking about?

A simple analysis:

1. Whats wrong here?: Tools required; Screwdrivers, Volt Stick, Ameter/Voltmeter/Megger etc

2. Modify/Fix it please: Side cutters/ Stripping pliers

3. New installs ( Domestic ) Small power tools: drills/hole cutters/angle grinders

4. Commercial install/mods; Hole saws, ability to form ducting/cable trays, any one use screwed conduit still?, Big tools/things for big cables etc

Will

I think I got a D in maths but it hasn't stopped me. All the calculations and more you'll ever need are in the BGB, I have the most common used one's copied into the front of my OSG with a couple of examples for quick reference. Also got a cheap scientific calculator from Asda for a couple of quid as it lists the formula as you enter it and is easier to check.

Just remember Zs=Ze+(R1+R2)... :lol:

Volt drop is not as complicated as it looks, just remember to extract the correct information for each cable type etc and you won't go far wrong.

And never forget Ohms law, it's the LAW!!!

I'm ok with calculating Zs, I had more trouble with the calculations for resistivity and a bit concerened about three phase stuff!

you mean like calculating the neutral current for an unbalanced 3 phase load? that one makes me sweat!!!

yep, i haven't covered the maths part of that yet.. luckily I understand the priniciple behind it, i.e. if it was perfectly balance the neutral would be 0v

Reply to Makita insulated tools in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock