Discuss MCB triops every 20, 30 mins. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
HI all,

Got a problem here

about 12 lights on a circuit, IR tests out ok, but the MCB trips about every 15 or 30 mins.

cant for the life of me find the bloody fault, taken everything apart but nothing,, i switch on all lights nothing for 15 mins then trips, i turn off all light nothing, then suddenly trips, how the hell can i test something that's not there, its really doing my head in, Board changed, down stairs neutral borrowed on the landing light so them two circuits on the same trip, no shaver, no fans

one thing i haven't try'd is Changing the LE lamps, but it still trips when all lights are off,, OMG its doing my head in

any ideas going forward

thanks
Grandf

no its an extension and i was temporarily putting ends in the old board when it started, so ive changed the board now, and changed the MCB for a 10 amp from 6, there has been a chippy working alot there, but cant see where he could have nailed a cable, thats what im thinking of now, but its just that it happens every 30 mins or so, not every 5 mins, or every 2 mins. so bloody strange.

Can you take some of the circuit off and see if that helps locate ie remove leg which feeds6 of the lamps

pendants and chrome bathroom lights, had all the switches off, most of the switches is where the feeds are, i assume its a dead short and not an earth fault as it doesnt trip the RCD, whats bugging me most is the time on it, the 30mins+, i could live with something getting HOT then tripping but then it wouldnt take that long to trip again if i turned it back on has its hot already if you know what i mean,

i have about 8 new lights in the extension and about 7 old light from the old part of the house. going back on thursday as they are away. so on one will be in the house.

one thing that has happened is a loft extension, so joists have been layed on top of the loft rafters so thats my next cosentration point, but still the timing of the bloody think bugs me, the bloody fault is either there or not.

thanks for the reply' s guys

Grand

Can you disconnect the "new" from the "old" to try and narrow down where the issue may be?

one thing guys, this circuit has been live for weeks with no problems

In which case where have other trades been doing work, not looking to point fingers but there could be a correlation between the work and your "fault".

Have fun and do let us know what you find. Faults like this are a pain to locate!

bet you find one of these nasties.

MCB triops every 20, 30 mins. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Have you put all the lights on then clip an amp probe at the CB ? also if stuck swap the supplies over with another circuit and see what happens

ie check what load the circuit is drawing plus if ok and you swap it with another CB then see if that trips as well.

If you dont have an amp probe check Screwfluxout as they have a budget one for about £10 bucks

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• MCB triops every 20, 30 mins. z - EletriciansForums.net
    z.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Probs wont help you too much but i had the same fault on a med centre the other week tripping randomly anything from 5 mins to 5 hours. Bunch Tested circuit, clear. Replaced mcb, Same. Dissconnected all lights tested again, clear. Eventually what i fouind it to be was when it had been installed at least 15 years ago in galv pipe and singles they used ceramic connector in a through box then into the fitting in flex. and it was a line single trapped between ceramic block and through box and over the years with heat etc it had blown apart and then obv tracking across at random times and tripping! Took me 9 hours to find this bugger! Had a well deserved pint that night!

ok guys, thanks for your help and reply's,, it was a steel beam put down for the loft bedroom, it was trapping the cable, had to take the landing ceiling down to find it, two days labour x2 men down, but glad ive found it as its a weight off my mind.

Cheers
Grand

Last edited:

Reply to MCB triops every 20, 30 mins. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock