Discuss me again! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have lost count how many times I have just pulled an earth rod out of dried up ground.

Wood stores built over them

concrete drives/paths above them them.

Then I am getting old and senile so may just be imagining it all............. >2000ohms!!!!!!!

Looking at what the OP has done in the pic i'd imagine he's done all the right tests and put the appropriate length rod in.

I've no doubt many rods have been pulled out in the past but who's to say they was put in properly with the right tests in the first place?

Last edited by a moderator:
after reading all your pros and cons i am still going to go with pea shingle,my reasons being the whole property is surounded by concrete and tarmac so little water will enter the ground.

- - - Updated - - -

after reading all your pros and cons i am still going to go with pea shingle,my reasons being the whole property is surounded by concrete and tarmac so little water will enter the ground.

Why would you not just concrete it back in, the the pit is permanent, in the ground. What would you do if it was a customers and not a family members? I think most customers would want their concrete surfacing reinstated.

Surrounding it in pea shingle IMO would be a total balls up of what look to be a quality neat job.

you wont be relying on that 2 inch gap round the pit to keep an 8ft rod damp,look at any tt pit and you wont see it filled around with gravel,its always flush with what the ground surface is,eg concrete,block pave etc.

Not sure why everyone is obsessing about an alleged trip hazard. It is against a building, and besides, every house I've ever owned/visited has had literally dozens of levels in the garden and pathways including flowerbeds, brickweave paths, patios, raised beds, drain covers....
Pea shingle filled to the level of the concrete won't create a hazard any more than having gravel on your drive!!!
yes....why has it been sited against the building?....it would have been better a minimum of 1 meter away...where it isn`t going to be intercepting any foundation rubble...or any other crap the original builders decided to throw in there.....

Reply to me again! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net