Discuss Melted plug on toastie maker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

georgio

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all I need some advice and thoughts on what caused this plug on a toastie maker to have given me electrical shock when I pulled it out of the socket it shattered/broke in to peices giving me a shock, on inspection I notice that the internal side of the plug was melted. I have since returned the appliance back to its manafacturer, and they have accepted responcerbility that the item is faulty. They have concluded that The plug material is shattered rather than burnt from an impact which can be seen on the face of the plug and that here is no trace of odour or electrical path to the centre of the plug housing that holds two plug halves together.
I have disagreed with them as it can be clearly seen from the pictures I have attached that plug is melted.

Attachments

• 20220920_155157.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220920_155207.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220920_155214.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220920_155221.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220920_155234.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220920_163508.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 41
It doesn't appear to have melted through an electrical loading issue - the bit that's disformed is just where the central fixing screw sits, not the actual conductor pins (which look to be in good condition). Therefore my guess is that it was just a cheap plug that has indeed literally just fallen apart.

That said.... it absolutely should not have happened and if you suspect the manufacturer is giving you the run-around then you might want to consider raising it with trading standards.

Agree with @Rockingit
i see no heat damage, plastic like that is often shiny where it has broken and mat finish elsewhere.

It doesn't appear to have melted through an electrical loading issue - the bit that's disformed is just where the central fixing screw sits, not the actual conductor pins (which look to be in good condition). Therefore my guess is that it was just a cheap plug that has indeed literally just fallen apart.

That said.... it absolutely should not have happened and if you suspect the manufacturer is giving you the run-around then you might want to consider raising it with trading standards.
Thanks, highly Appreciate your professional advice, the manafacturer has offered to replace the item but has not accepted any responcerbility, I was in hope that I could take legal action against them for compensation, I agree that the plug is of cheap made material, but not sure if trading standards whould help with that ?

Compensation.

have you been injured?
if so, first thing to do is to get a professional opinion (in writing) from the medical team that treated you.
it will be important later to be able to document the impact it has had on you and how it leads to a lower quality of life going forward.

Agree with the above, there is no recognisable pattern of heat damage centred on any of the parts that can generate heat, therefore it is probably just breakage. My question would be whether the plug complies with the applicable standards? If so, then their obligation probably doesn't extend beyond replacing it if you consider it was broken on arrival.

Reply to Melted plug on toastie maker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net