Discuss Messed up order. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Screwfix came top of the poll a year ago for the most used wholesaler (on thus site).
I find they generally have what I want in stock (which you can easily check on the website) and are good value. I can't remember them making any mistakes with an order and they give you your money back without quibble.
They don't know anything about electrics but I don't really see why they need to as you know what you are buying.
In my store they are friendly and have doughnuts on Wednesday. :)

Screwfix are good for stock and general product variation etc , also price point is okay for a retailers

I just can’t stand going in and having to wait in line while mr and mrs Buy all their diy stuff

That said I popped into my local TLC the other week to get an immersion heater timer and it took 5 minutes for someone to even acknowledge I was in their shop

The one good thing I note about buying wago boxes at screwfix apart from the price is they have that little insert that you can screw on to the joist or whatever and slide the box on to. Denmans don't supply that which is slightly aggravating.

A few of us have joined the 'Electricfix' section. One guy showed them his 13th edition cert and they accepted it. Just shows how fussy they are !!
I initially got refused and phoned them and asked them exactly what qualifications you had to have and scam membership was mentioned, I laughed at that one and apologised for being too qualified if that was the level they recognised it was then agreed they would give me an Electricfix card

Let's all slag off Screwfix, eh?
I ordered a dozen RCBOs, and 6 of them were exactly what it said on the box, the ratings on the others were all wrong. Now, is this a case of careless packing at the factory, or careless repacking of returned goods, by Screwfix? Or maybe the original customer returned a few that were surplus to requirements, and just bunged them in the wrong boxes and Screwfix just re stocked them without checking?

It is not legal to sell returned goods as new. If they are doing this they should be done. Currys have been done for doing this.

I initially got refused and phoned them and asked them exactly what qualifications you had to have and scam membership was mentioned, I laughed at that one and apologised for being too qualified if that was the level they recognised it was then agreed they would give me an Electricfix card
They gave me electricfix just for having the c&g 2365 said they don't care aslong as it has electrical written on it somewhere! Think it's hit and miss depends which store you go to

Ordered 2x 32A and 2x 6A Wylex RCBOs and ended up with 4x 16A BG MCBs earlier this week... :confused1:

Some years ago I ordered 50M of 1.5 immersion heater cable from Eddies and they delivered 100M drum of 1.5mm black flex to the job site....

10 years later and I am still trying to use the dang stuff up as simply could not be bothered to take it back

"PRODUCT RECALL NOTICE
Edison Screw (ES) 6" CEILING PENDANT
British General (BG) have made us aware that due to a design issue with this product there is the potential that, in some circumstances, it is possible to over-insert the lamp into the lamp holder. This can create a risk of arcing between the Live and Neutral contacts in the light fitting, potentially causing a risk of overheating or fire."

I saw this recall notice in Electrifix section of my local Screwfix, but it wasn't displayed in the main shop. You have to wonder how something so simple as a pendant light fitting could be dangerous...I mean, it's not exactly rocket science, is it?

I seem to be fortunate in that I have 2 Screwfix stores nearby, and I can't recall ever having to queue for more than a couple of minutes at most. Usually, I order online and just pop in and uplift. Also, the staff are usually quite knowledgeable. Still, it's probably just the Scottish advantage...

However, their pricing can be distinctly odd at times.

I used my IEE membership card to join Electrifix.
Doubtful if the assistant knew what he , she or whichever genome they belong to was looking at.
Recall one incident, I was in the Warehouse picking and a lady came in with a message from the sparks working in her house, wanting a gland for some 4mm2 2 core SWA outdoor type, showed the Girl what was needed, got a rollicking for sticking my nose in, didn't last long after that, told them to lick em and stick em, Pete's way of saying "SHOVE YER JOB WHERE THE MONKEYS' KEEPS THEIR NUTS" 2 months I lasted.

Last edited:

Reply to Messed up order. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net