Discuss Metal shed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparkydan

Has anybody run a supply to a metal shed before?

Just want some tips on best way to get fixings as only thin single sheet sides and roof.

I Was thinking of getting a sheet of MDF then drilling through and using nuts and bolts to fix the four corners then screwing board sockets etc to MDF.

And also fixing a fluorescent to the MDF or hang from roof supports with thick cable ties.

any other ideas?

Also just thought im gonna have to bond the metal frame of the shed not sure if its worth thinking about putting an earth rod in for it? its a long run to about 55 mtrs but a TN-S supply.

Blimey i would have run away from this one!!!!:D

Anyways, what you are suggesting seems like a fair idea.

The only time you would need to bond is if any steelwork is buried in the ground.

However, if its for agricultural use then you need to check sec 705 in the regs.

MDF will absorb moisture over time and will fall apart. Some WBP would be better.

Florries should be hung from jack chain from central steel in the roof.

Metalclad sockets and switches all round, high impact PVC conduit for cables.

Hope you priced it right!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for replying lads
The roof is low so chain will hang to low so might just fix to wall on the wood as high as poss.

Its free standing so i wont bother with bonding then.

Grip fills a good idea ill try that first

its a job for a friend so gonna try and do him a bit of a deal but just out of interest and for future reference what would you boys charge for a job like this? i know its hard without seeing it but just roughly.
There are no spare ways on the board so i was thinking of splitting the tails and putting in a small enclosure with main switch and 32A MCB then off the the shed and then putting another enclosure with 1X16A for a couple of sockets then 1X6A for a couple of florrys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Metal shed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net